Old boy soiling in house

• 16 Replies

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
Old boy soiling in house
« on: November 27, 2011, 21:57 »
I have a 15 (16 in January) border collie.  We have been through some up and downs in recent weeks with him.  At one point I thought he was going to have to be put down but he rallied when some medication he was on was stopped.  The medication was for osteoarthritis. 

Back in May/June time he began to wee in the house - I took him to the vet and she diagnosed renal (kidney) failure which she said would get worse.   Advised me to get puppy pads!!! his wasn't to bad - it was just the odd 'accident'. 3 weeks ago me and OH went on holiday and l left the dogs with my parents who regularly look after them and they were aware of the issues.  He only wee'd in their house once.  However since we have been back (its been a week) not only has he wee'd in the house 3 times but has poo'd as well.  It was never this bad before we left to go on holiday. The puppy pads are a waste of time as he never goes in the same place.  I just wish that we could read his mind so we could let him out but he wanders about a bit aimlessly sometimes (vet also told me he's probably got some senility).  Every thing else points to him improving - he's eating quite well again and having a 3/4 hour walk per day. 

Any ideas on how to improve things that do not include going to the vet ( don't think they have anymore to offer him)? Cheers
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Old boy soiling in house
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 22:05 »
the only thing you can do is to keep taking him out for lots of little walks and cleaning up after him without making a fuss I'm afraid if he has gone senile 
Staffies are softer than you think.

Oliveview

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 22:20 »
Our last dog in the UK was a border collie, she became incontinent, bladder only. We had drops to put in her food, worked great. After a few months she developed a bad cough.... The vet said she had fluid around her heart and needed churros tablets. Sadly we had to have her put to sleep. I hope your dog can be helped
Pamela

upnorth

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 09:13 »
The vet said she had fluid around her heart and needed churros tablets. Pamela

Churros tablets? Are churros not a spanish cake?

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 09:47 »
Wandering a bit, soiling in the wrong place, going deaf and blind - all things that you have to cope with, when your dog gets old (as with old humans).

We have an elderly Springer - still clean in the house, but looks a bit lost sometimes & is no longer let off the lead on walks in case she forgets where we are (also she would overtire herself & be very stiff next day).

My brother's Lab has been diagnosed with a brain tumour, so no good news there.

I feel it is a question of quality of life - if the dog enjoys a stroll & eats its dinner and still likes cuddles etc, then you have to manage the mess.  If, however, the dog is distressed because they hate not being clean in the house, or they show other signs that life is no longer enjoyable (the Springer has lost her constant wag, the Lab doesn't rush to bring guests a present...) you have to do that horrible balancing act between what do I want & what is best for the animal.

Been there, done that, got several tee-shirts.....  Expecting to get several more, as I'd rather have the pets and have to make the decision, than not have the pets.

I feel that it is a decision we owe our pets in recognition of they have given us over the years - and I sometimes feel that if you kept a pet alive in the same way they do with humans, it would be very unacceptable.

No-one but the owner can work out when the pleasure of being alive and with the family is outweighed by the burden of life.  Sorry, not very helpful - but you're not alone in approaching this decision.
ManicMum

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 10:02 »
I know how you feel as I had this with my demented Jack Russell. You could take him out 20 times but he'd just go back in the house and do his business there.  He would think he was stuck in a room and would poo in a room with an open door but then walk in it and paddle it all over the place.  It gets you down in the end and you can get very depressed.  I also had to take him everywhere I went and so he started messing in the car. There is no end to it and it's probably time to say goodbye  :(

He couldn't see very well and thought that the radiator was the door which he thought was closed  :)  Bless 

I wrestled with the decision for some months as I didn't want to put him to sleep just because I was put out about his messing, it had to be because his quality of life was deteriorating.  When you love your pet it's a real dilemma.  I set out my thoughts on paper which I gave to my vet to read. We then had a meeting and it was decided to end his life.  I put it down on paper so I wouldn't leave anything out but mainly as I didn't want to talk as it made me so upset. We had tried dementia medication but it didn't work.  Taking the dog out walking in the fresh air does help dementia but only up to a point where your dog is able.  Once they get too rickety it's not really an option  :(

He was put to sleep in his basket in front of a roaring fire on a winter's day.  He was fast asleep anyway and didn't even notice we were there. 

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 15:36 »
Our thoughts are with you Lulu.  It is really hard when a pet is getting old.  It may be that he needs his own scent on the puppy pads.  Next time he wees or poos use some kitchen roll to get a little which you can then put on top of a puppy pad.  If his sense of smell is still working this may help to train him where to go in the house.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 15:47 »
A friend has a collie mix in the same stage as Lulu's dog - weak bladder/bowel controls, arthritis, senility, partial blindness now.

She's reluctant to have her friend put down but knows that at this stage (when renal failure sets in) there's no turning back. She simply makes a point of letting the dog out a lot more, taking it for several half hour walks a day, keeping the dog warm to alleviate the arthritis a bit. Its a hassle to keep letting the dog out so much, but its that or do a lot more cleaning up. Despite her efforts, there are always a few messes by morning and she simply deals with it.

Lulu

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 13:36 »
Thank you for your replies and support

ANHBUC - I might try your suggestion.

He is still a happy dog, gives lots of love, &wags.etc He also still manages to tell us when its his dinner time and tries to stand up to the younger dogs in the park bless him.  While he's happy I will put up with the mess.  He doesn't get distressed about messing in the house - just looks abit sheepish.  I am not sentimental about rugs etc anyway.  I have laminate flooring downstairs to its no trouble to clean up and doors keep him out of the more delicate carpeted room.  I would just prefer it if he did in one place!
I know the trip to the vet will be inevitable - its already been discussed with the vet, just hope its after Christmas now.  This is the cost of having our lovely pets. We take each day as it comes - some are good and some not so good.  The good well out weigh the bad at the moment. :)

Thanks once again.

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 15:52 »
It's very sad but you'll know I'm sure when the time is right for you and your pal  :)  Enjoy all the time you have left  :) 

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 23:48 »
One good thing, your pal doesn't see the end of the road approaching. That's our curse to cope with. Our old cat was a problem with weeing where he shouldn't. If you need 10 years supply of carpet cleaning fluid and urine neutraliser....
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Lulu

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 20:05 »
Thanks for the offer - I think I'm going to wrap up a bottle of 2001 Spot cleaner and put it in the old boys stocking for Christmas - bless him.!!!!!!!  :happy:

BabyStar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 13:19 »
This thread upset me! Only because I have been through the same experience and it's so, so hard to make the inevitable decision.
We had an 18-yr-old Jack Russell and he started poohing and weeing in the house. It was definitely not healthy pooh and great big puddles of wee. He also showed signs of senility, walking into things or around and around a room, standing in a corner and barking... He didn't really want to walk, about the only thing he liked was his food and he became quite the scavenger.
In the end the vet said he could have kidney problems and test for this but taking everything into serious consideration we decided it was probably time for him to go to sleep. Definitely one of the hardest things you ever have to do, I always wished he would just go to sleep one day and not wake up, but that's only for selfish reasons so you don't feel so responsible.
Unfortunately this is all part and parcel of owning animals! Personally I think the good outweighs the bad  :)

little brown hen

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 07:27 »
Its so sad when they get old - I have an old boy Ming who's 13, totally incontinent, such a lot of work mopping up - but much loved!

Here's a poem that says it all (author unknown) hope you enjoy...

THE OLD ONES

What do you do with the old ones,
The ones that are past, their glory gone by,
The ones that didnt win, however they try,
The ones that did win, but later turned shy,
The first one you bought, that had a light eye,
Theyre eating their heads off, the food bills are high,
What do you do with the old ones?

Find them good homes is the answer, its clear
But the only good home that mine want is right here.
Their own special sofa, covered with hairs
They all cut their teeth on the dining room chairs,
The safe and familiar paths of their days
The garden, the outing, their own funny ways.
That only I know... and even their food
If not given by me, wouldnt taste half as good.

So now Im deep in old ones, who're not good at all
Who clutter the sitting room, kitchen and hall
Who need to be brushed, to be walked, to be fed,
Who only want me to put them to bed!

Theyre faithful and loving and set in their ways,
So Im stuck with them all for the rest of their days
But I have to confess that when we do have to part
I'll miss them so much... it will just break my heart.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 11:04 »
what a lovely poem, hope you don't mind but I have just borrowed it

xx
New front of house

Started by DD. on Pets without Feathers

6 Replies
Last post April 18, 2012, 17:26
by Dora5
xx
Scent Marking in House

Started by SarahJC on Pets without Feathers

5 Replies
Last post November 19, 2009, 22:26
by Foxy
xx
Advice about cat moving house

Started by sunshineband on Pets without Feathers

9 Replies
Last post November 10, 2013, 19:24
by sunshineband
xx
siting wild bee house

Started by totalnovice on Pets without Feathers

4 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 16:09
by Trillium

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 38 queries.