Culling

• 33 Replies

rachelr

Re: Culling
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 10:48 »
Please I would really appreciate it as I want to have meat chicks and my OH is unsure I can do the deed. I think I can, it would be hard for the first few but I am a country girl and did it when I was little.

If you can let me know when you are next cullin  I could come over. Failing that maybe i can chat to Grannie annie and bring some on then bring them over to you to assist.

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 12:20 »
Either of you two fancy moving to sunny Worcestershire?  :lol:

rachelr

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 12:35 »
never but I have a big garden you could camp and then we could all learn together lol

Spana

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 13:26 »
. Personally after having used the wall dispatcher three times recently I would opt for this method. They are not expensive (I got mine from Ascot) and do a quick clean job.

Thats what we use.  I know some people dont like them but we have always got on fine with it.  OH can do tiny call ducks up to great big Muscovy drakes and cockerels with it and its quick with no fuss.

rachelr

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2010, 13:28 »
Now spana I was thinking i need a nice holiday if you put me up you can teach me how to do it!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Spana

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2010, 14:10 »
Any time :)

Thingy

• Experienced Member
  • Budding Animal Behaviourist :)
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2010, 15:16 »
aha! I only auction Silkies. :/ and I religiously guard their cage against people who think its funny to hit the bars. Remember, I can't kill them just for being cockerels so I gotta get rid of them somehow otherwise I'm gonna be up to my eyes in cockerals. Auctions the only way to go for me  :tongue2:

Dunno how I can help you then :/. Sorry
When the wolf lays with the lamb, I fear for us all

ferretkeeper

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2010, 11:33 »
Just been to River Cottage Chicken Course last weekend  - it was a very good day - we practised breaking a bird's neck on dead ones that had been killed by stunning - took me three goes so glad it wasn't alive. However the lady that taught the course and supplied the chickens is off the TV series, Pam Riggs of Providence Farm in Devon - she runs a course on despatching and preparing chickens, not too expensive I thought, and less if you've got a holding number. It's something I'm considering maybe for next year, in case I have to do the deed.

jinty1911

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2010, 20:45 »
Oh dear, what happened?  I have a couple of neighbours that go hunting  (Father and Son) who have said they will take great pleasure in doing it for me if the deed ever needs done.  I would have to be well out of the house if and when that happens  :ohmy:
Jinty

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2010, 08:07 »
Problem solved. Our farmer friend came up a couple of weekends ago and dealt with them all cleanly and swiftly. We were next to him when he did this as I though it important - well we were responsible for them and I didn't want to shy away from their departure. Yes, they do flap about for a short time (each were passed to us to hold until it stopped whilst he dealt with the next), but it was so quick, no mess, no noise and much much faster than a vet's injection. He was also good enough to show us how to remove the breast fillets (not a huge amount there though) and how we could safely dispose of the remains. Not our nicest morning but really informative. Very little strength needed to do this, no brute force, in fact from what I saw, you would probably use more force in tying up the top of a plastic rubbish bag. When it's done properly like this there is no suffering, it is instantaneous.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 08:09 by Tazzy »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2010, 18:04 »
The problem often is that people think the bird is still alive whilst it is flapping but all that is down to the nerves. Holding the bird ensures no bruising. Well done Tazzy on watching, holding and learning. It is never nice doing this to a bird you have raised but at least you know how it was raised and then how quick and stress free the dispatching was.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2010, 21:17 »
Thanks Joyfull - although I have spent happier mornings  :(. Should I ever need to go through this again (or should I say when), then he is more than happy to help us out.Now this sounds really horrible, but I would actually like to be able to do this but I don't think there is any room for a learning curve. You need to be able to do it right first time, every time. I can't think about any bird suffering because I hadn't got the skill. The course that ferretkeeper mentioned sounds ideal as the birds are stunned. Would like to find out if there are any in the Worcs area though

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2010, 21:53 »
next time you need to do this get your friend to teach you and be at your side to make sure the process is quick and clean. It will seem like it takes ages to you for the first couple of times but really it won't be very long. I don't like doing it but sometimes needs must I'm afraid  :(

loam ranger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2010, 20:20 »
I watched a tv program  called the Gourmet Farmer , it showed  a cockeril being dispatched by cutting of the head. They placed the bird in a cone fixed to a post and then cut of the head with a knife, it seemed quick and humane.  Has anyone used this way before.

I have only had to cull 1 bird before it was quite distressing at the time.

Geoff

hillfooter

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2010, 23:01 »
Please dont do that, not with just cockerels. You never know what may happen to them .

I agree they'll likely end up as raptor food.  Cull them and I always think it's best to do it yourself.  It's all part of the caring for them and it better that it's done by someone who cares.  With determination and getting someone to give you some support initially I'm sure you can learn.
HF
Truth through science.

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 33 queries.