Re: They're Here!
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2010, 13:14 »
very sweet cikis
just makes me want MORE!

Bantymad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2010, 22:38 »
Haha great noise, am going to give up part of the garden at the side of the house, lots more room for them there, will have to move some flowers but can always put back later. Want to make sure iv got everything ready so am planning well in advance. What age would i be looking at to get them, day olds etc, and would i need heat? perches? shavings in shed or straw? Different breeds etc, growing time needed?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2010, 23:29 »
If you really want to give turkeys a try, you have 2 options. 1. day olds.  they will need a higher heat for the first weeks than chicks do.  37C, reducing by about 2C each week until off heat.  or 2. you buy them off heat at 5 weeks old.

Some people let their turkeys perch, but my Brian doesn't like anything to spoil the shape of the breast, so he always says no to perches, but if they can, they really will fly up onto the top of the coop or a shed to roost as they love being high up.  We always use shavings, never straw which can harbour mould spores which an lead to aspergillosis.

Paul Kelly always recommends shavings too, and there isn't much he doesn't know about turkeys!

Breeds are up to you and what you can get. Kellys' have several different breeds and they reach different sizes, but we usually only have the one breed, all bought at the same time, although this year we are trying a few Kelly bronze too.  We get our different sizes because the stags grow bigger than the hens do.  We got them last Friday at day old and by Christmas they will be between 6kgs and 10.5 kgs oven ready.

Bantymad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2010, 07:14 »
Thankyou Granny, all clear in my mind now. I have a local lady that does turkeys and also an estate in salisbury where i had gundog training for my dog. The local lady is happy for me to go there to show me how to do all the necessary although her hubby does the dispatching. so thats me deffinatly in for turkeys next year. have ordered a kelly bronse from her for this year, cant remember the other ones she does. she said all hers roost in the trees to. Thankyou for all the help, no doubt i will be needing more at some point.

mumsy

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2010, 22:44 »
Thanks Jae, would have been lovely to meet you too!  My Brian only goes where he has to nowadays though, having driven a lot over the years for work.

I got the same thing from my youngest daughter yesterday too.  "Oh Mum, Chelmsford isn't very far from the Dartford tunnel, you could have popped down to see us!!"   :D  Oh what it is to be popular!   :D :D

Oooh so you are joining the mad hatter chicken keepers are you???  Are these your first?

Its not far from me either Annie !!!!!!!  How are you both?

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2010, 23:11 »
Thanks Jae, would have been lovely to meet you too!  My Brian only goes where he has to nowadays though, having driven a lot over the years for work.

I got the same thing from my youngest daughter yesterday too.  "Oh Mum, Chelmsford isn't very far from the Dartford tunnel, you could have popped down to see us!!"   :D  Oh what it is to be popular!   :D :D

Oooh so you are joining the mad hatter chicken keepers are you???  Are these your first?

Its not far from me either Annie !!!!!!!  How are you both?

Oh only 54 miles Mumsy!  :lol:  We are fine thanks, and you?  don't see so much of you these days.  Have you heard from Babe recently?

mumsy

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2010, 23:37 »
Hi Annie

Have just got back in touch with Kay, we have both been very busy back at work.  I have landed myself the best job in the world ...........working on a small plant nursery, its great.  Started of in March by setting up an ebay shop for my boss, now I run that & work 3 days on the nursery........its heaven.   Last year I took my Mum there & I said 'I'd love to work here'  & now I am !!!!!!!!!!!!  Thomson & Morgan kept ringing for me to go back...their loss, they didn't give me a permanent job when I applied!!!  Now I have a lovely tan (in places) I love working outside & I am learning so much more!!!!!!  My garden looks great as I now have a constant supply of superb perennials & keeps me very busy!!!!!!
On the chook front, have been battling again this year with red mite but I haven't panicked like last year & its all under control.  I have had another hatch this year but need to rehome two cockerals, a Black leghorn & a Cream legbar.  I have a araucana baby too but don't know if its a boy or girl yet.  Kay is working at B&Q.  I started this job & found I am working with Kay's best friend....small world.  Anyway, thats me, enjoying life at the mo!!
How about you???  I see you have Black Leghorns now..need a little boy???  LOL!!  Love to you both, will try to stick around on here now as I do miss you all!!!!!!

Jackie xxxxx

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2010, 00:01 »
Sounds wonderful Jackie!  Give Kay my love when you speak again!
It's not black leghorns I have, but Exchequers (black and white) and they are bantam sized.  We actually got rid of the cockerel as he was quite nasty to the girls.  Looking for a nice small gentle man for them!

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2010, 22:18 »
Well ann if your turkeys taste half as good as your chickens then Christmas dinner will be fab. :D :D

Hope you & DH are well  :happy: :happy:

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2010, 22:53 »
Well if its any recommendation, I've got an ex Smithfield butcher whose son and family live in our village, and he keeps coming back for the frozen turkey breasts which have been in the freezer since Christmas, and Friday I sold him the last 3!  Only got drumsticks and thighs left now!!  :lol:

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 32 queries.