They're Here!

• 39 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
They're Here!
« on: August 06, 2010, 22:40 »
Today's new arrivals!  We had one little weakling.  We got 2 turkey babies free of charge, but white ones.  Unfortunately the weakling is a bronze!  :(

2010 turkeys day old.jpg
bronze turkey 1 day old (1).jpg
White Plumpie day old (1).jpg

GrannieAnnie

Re: They're Here!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 22:41 »
This is a pic of our new Maywick Gas Brooder, should keep them all nice and warm!

And Aunt Sally's bronze turkey baby!  :D
Maywick 1.jpg
bronze turkey 1 day old (3).jpg

hillfooter

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 01:07 »
Excellent.  Where do you go to collect them Grannie?

HF
Truth through science.

NormandyMary

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 08:56 »
How can little creatures that start out so pretty, end up so bug ugly? They sure taste nice though..ooh cranberry sauce, stuffing, bread sauce. Roll on Christmas!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 09:37 »
How's the weakling doing Annie? Hopefully it will pick up - if not do you want a foster home for it?
Now then is it time to get me sprouts on?
Staffies are softer than you think.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 09:57 »
Little one died overnight Joy  :(  I thought it would, it didn't look at all good last night when I did my last check at midnight!  I bought some Poult Saver too from Kelly's which you mix in their water, I suppose its a vitamin/protein type thing to give them a little boost.

You also get a syringe to feed it to any weaklings, but its got a long straw you attach and are supposed to put the straw right down the poults throat on the side so as to avoid water getting into the windpipe. that isn't easy while trying to hold a wriggling baby in the other hand!

HF, We get our poults from Kelly's Turkeys in Essex.  300 mile round trip!  We don't buy rubbish you know!   :D :D

I know what you mean Mary, they soon start to turn into ugly little turkeys!   :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 10:30 »
Oh thank you Grannie.

I love my bronze baby.  It's 'Bruno' for a boy and 'Babs' for a girl :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 10:34 »
My bronze baby is called dinner regardless of sex  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 10:36 »
Don't forget to write all about them on your blog Grannie :D

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 13:10 »
Will do Auntie!   Can you see the little wing feathers just appearing on your one?  Amazing, at just a day old!  :)

Jae Dawn

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 13:56 »
 Congrats on the Turkey's they look too cute to eat just yet but I'm guessing they will get ugly and table worthy soon!  Wish I knew you were in my area I would have loved to have met you Annie.  :)

Would love to have a few turkey's myself but my garden is soooo soooo small barley have enough room for my new chickens I get later today.

Sorry about the little weakling...  :(  Definately keep us up to date via Blog.  I do love your blogs!

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 14:01 »
Thanks Jae, would have been lovely to meet you too!  My Brian only goes where he has to nowadays though, having driven a lot over the years for work.

I got the same thing from my youngest daughter yesterday too.  "Oh Mum, Chelmsford isn't very far from the Dartford tunnel, you could have popped down to see us!!"   :D  Oh what it is to be popular!   :D :D

Oooh so you are joining the mad hatter chicken keepers are you???  Are these your first?

Jae Dawn

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 14:23 »

Yes today is my big day!  I have been reading here and occasionally posting for 8 months.  It all started about a year ago saw a Poland chicken when my Mom and I visited a Historical place up near Wolverhampton. Cant remember the name of the place but sure do remember that Chicken. 

I was raised in Miami Florida so I never saw chickens except wrapped in celophane in the grocery.  My grandparents lived in Illinois and they had old regular white chickens which didn't look or act like much fun.  So seeing a chicken with fluff was just amazing to me and it had such a great personality I feel in love then and there. 

Since I live in a very close residential area I never thought I could have chickens then I went to the Home Show and saw that there was a way... Omlet.  So I saved and found this wonderful site and read so many books that now I feel I might know a bit that I could have one.  Bought the eglu 6 weeks ago finally found a Polish breeder that has chickens for sale and picking them up today in an hour.  Soooo excited!  And yes I will post pictures I promise!

But think your little turkeys are fab!  Do wish I could have tons of different chickens and turkeys!   :wub:

hillfooter

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 16:08 »

Yes today is my big day!  I have been reading here and occasionally posting for 8 months.  It all started about a year ago saw a Poland chicken when my Mom and I visited a Historical place up near Wolverhampton. Cant remember the name of the place but sure do remember that Chicken. 

Congratulations Jae,

Hope you enjoy your new hobby.  Polish aren't the easiest chickens to start off with so you will find this site useful I'm sure.  I know Teapots keeps them.  Crest mite can be a problem with them so make sure you do a bit of research on this breed but as you say they are one of the gems of the chicken world.
Best wishes
HF

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 21:56 »
Well all the turkey babies had a good day today! Already eating like there's no tomorrow!  Little wing feathers appearing, and rushing around the brooder, scratching and preening!   :D :D

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 33 queries.