New allotment - HELP

• 8 Replies

sanj

New allotment - HELP
« on: September 03, 2010, 16:55 »
Hi there,

I was wondering if any of you fellow gardeners could help me, I have just got a new allotment plot today and an exicted to start growing my own veggies.

I have been told that the plots all have dense wet clay soil, could someone tell me what are the next steps I need to do.

At the momment its just thick grass on my plot, I just wanted to know what I need to do for prepping the plot ready to start growing veggies.

Cheers

Sanj
Thanks,

Sanj

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: New allotment - HELP
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 20:00 »
Welcome to the site sanj  :D

Congratulations on your new lotty, it's a great time of year to get one as you've got loads of time to get it sorted before next season.

The main website (growing help link above) has lots of useful information.

This page is about clearing a plot:
http://www.allotment-garden.org/articles/Clearing_a_New_Allotment.php

You mention you have grass on your plot.  It's important to assess whether you have regular turf, which has short fibrous roots, or couch grass whose roots are long thin white and tough, like piano wire.

The normal stuff can be lifted and stacked upside down to produce loam.  But don't compost couch grass roots straightaway as they are pretty invincible and will come back.

As for the clay soil, this will probably take time to warm up in spring - so don't rush to plant anything early (patience really will get you there quicker in the end).  If you get the chance to obtain manure, compost, or other soil improver like leaf mould, grab it with both hands.  Repeated application of organic matter will improve the soil structure over the years.  Mulching will also help retain moisture in the summer.

Finally, I'd suggest you edit your profile (click on your name) to add your location, as that can make a difference to advice offered to any questions you may ask.

Good luck!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

SG6

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 20:15 »
Guess the first thing is to define the limits of the plot.
Next is to get rid of the grass.
Mow or burn or weedkiller. Leave it to you.
Then the obvious bit - dig. :tongue2: :tongue2:
Dig to break the ground up and remove the weed/grass roots.
The dig again to add compost, manure, sand, grit, almost anything to get into the clay and convert that (slowly) to something better.
Basically lots of digging. ??? ??? ???

If you decide on weed killer then glyphosphate is the main one and has the "advantage" of killing the roots. Take care as overspray could cause trouble especially if there is a wind/breeze.

You could cut the grass then lift off the upper layer, then stack the turfs and allow them to compost down. Possibly a better option as you then have rmoved some of the soil/clay to allow easy addition of whatever you dig in to break up the clay. As you will hopefully have lifted the roots as well then less to pick out when digging.

Would suggest splitting the plot into 2, 3, 4 depending on the size and doing a piece at a time.

If you get say a 1/4 section done in the next few weeks you could then plant say garlics and overwintering onions. It would be something in to admire. :D :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 20:22 »
Hi there Sanj and welcome  :D

Once you have done all of the above, cover up the soil for the winter, with cardboard weighted down, black plastic or weed suppressant membrane etc.

That will help it warm up quicker in the spring and it will be not too soggy either I hope  :D

PS You can just spread the rotted manure or compost onto the surface, before you cover it all up--- the worms will pull it down for you.

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

sanj

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 12:26 »
Thanks very much guys, you have been very helpfull.

So am I right in saying that the next thing I have to do if I want to go down the organic route is:

1. Dig up all the grass - can I us this as compost
2. Then dig up the soil further to get rid of any perennial weeds and brake up the soil.

What else do I need to do, and whats the best type of compost to use.

Also can I start growing anything this year or do I just have to get it prepared for next next.

SG6

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 14:13 »
Since the compost is not for growing in but for adding to the soil you have, it seems pointless getting anything costly, equally a cheap one full of weed seeds is best avoided. You simply want to dig it in and incorporate it to make the soil structure easier/better. Does the council around you not have any available as part of their recycling policy? Many do, and often available to allotments.

Almost anything sensible can be dug in, a couple of barrows of autumn leaves laid on the surface and allowed to rot a bit then dug in will do pretty good.

As said if you cut the grass and then slice the growing bit into turfs (small strips) then pile these, they will compost. the grass (stems) can be composted. Will take a year to.

Did say that if you did say 1/4 of the plot first then you could plant some garlic and overwintering onions.

SG6

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 14:46 »
If you do managed to dig over sufficent in the next week or two then have a look at the site www.moreveg.co.uk

They are offering a selection of veg seeds that can be planted now and cropped or overwintered. Think they say 6 varieties in the set and £2.50.

Add in the Garlic and OW onions and you're going.

Spudman

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 15:21 »
Hi sanj

I'm in Ruislip too...which allotment site are you?

If you get some digging done and remove the weeds, you could always sow some Green Manure...a cheap and easier way than spreading animal manure. I'm doing this at the moment. Get some ideas from this site: http://www.greenmanure.co.uk/index.htm

I bought some seeds from them...they do a very good ''winter mix'', which will start growing now, will overwinter, and can then be dug in during the spring.

As for growing, I'm growing some rocket, lettuce, spring greens (will overwinter, then be ready in spring), and in November I'll be planting lots of garlic.

S

sanj

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 18:55 »
Thanks everyone,

I have a plot on the Stafford road allotments, in Ruislip Gardens, if your ever near give me a shout would be good to share some tips.

Sanj

xx
Allotment pH

Started by flopsy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 05, 2011, 18:48
by flopsy
xx
New Allotment - Help !

Started by gilesi on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 02, 2015, 11:39
by Enfield Glen
xx
Allotment Act

Started by Babstreefern on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2009, 19:16
by Yorkie
xx
MY ALLOTMENT

Started by smiler on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 23, 2008, 17:04
by gobs

Page created in 0.422 seconds with 39 queries.