dealing with a glut of berries (eg red and black currants)

• 28 Replies

BobE

Re: dealing with a glut of berries (eg red and black currants)
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 17:08 »
I did 6.6kg over the weekend - mostly into the freezer and one batch of ice cream  :happy: OH informs me that is about a quarter  :ohmy: of the crop.  Of red currents. Then there are the black currents and gooseberries .... raspberries and not very many (because they didnt get weeded!) strawberries.  Errr .....   :wub: :unsure: :wacko:

Get out the jars and bottles.  :D :D

Mrs Bee

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 17:16 »
I did 6.6kg over the weekend - mostly into the freezer and one batch of ice cream  :happy: OH informs me that is about a quarter  :ohmy: of the crop.  Of red currents. Then there are the black currents and gooseberries .... raspberries and not very many (because they didnt get weeded!) strawberries.  Errr .....   :wub: :unsure: :wacko:

Oh, lucky you! :) :)
I can't wait until OH has finished working on the fruit plot on the lotty and we can get our fruit bushes out of pots and into the ground with a few more bushes.

We have had a good crop of goosegogs and a big bowl full of blackcurrants. The blackcurrants were Big Ben I think, and were really big and sweet enough to eat straight from the bush without any sugar. Can't wait until we get a glut of those. :)

madcat

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 10:25 »
Ours started out as £1 plants from Aldi (or poundstretcher or something like that) - two goosegogs and 1 each of the others.  I then took a few cuttings when they were pruned and then ...    ::)  Now there are 5 or 6 of each and I am banned  :ohmy: from begging a white currant cutting or two.   :(  Meanie, he is.  Unfortunately, he is also right!   ::)  but I have a cunning plan ....   ;)

The redcurrent icecream is wonderful.  I'm going to have a go at your Crème fraiche sorbet tonight (see recipes thread) which I bet will be brilliant too.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

compostqueen

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 10:59 »
My blackcurrant bush was a cheapo from Wilko and it's been the best few quid I ever spent. I was underneath the bush yesterday, with my punnets, in the searing heat, gently picking so as not to drop or damage a single berry.  It was a relaxing job, if not a bit back breaking, but there's worse jobs  :D 

Today I shall mostly be making jam. I made my first ever jam last year, from blackcurrants, and it was the best I've ever tasted. Can't wait to do it all over again  :)

simbamara

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 11:47 »
I have 3 various berry trees +3 blueberry trees but no where near enough to worry about a surplus.
The Tayberry plant has browning fringes  on the leaves ??????

Cheers

Mrs Bee

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 15:45 »
Glad you like the recipes. I have a few ices made and stored in the freezer, and I have a new toy to play with... a waffle cone maker. :)
 I have some josta berries ripening  and they are crying out to be made into icecream or sorbet.

Not exactly a glut tho'. :(

compostqueen

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 16:25 »
I sat this morning with bags, colanders, scissors, knife, tray, cuppa, telly, fan on and dealt with my pile of blackcurrants. While performing my mindless task I watched the new baby goings-on on the telly, which made the job less tedious.

The jam is now bubbling on the stove, with the sugar just added.  Better get back to it in case it burns  :ohmy:

Mrs Bee

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 11:23 »
I seem to spend a great deal of time doing the same sorts of things CQ.

My fingers are still black from yesterdays broad beans :lol:

I don't leave the kitchen while I have jams and chutneys bubbling, I have been caught out a couple of times. :ohmy:

compostqueen

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 12:51 »
It's good to sit sometimes and do these intensive little chores. Mind you I was lucky that no-one came to the door as usually  happens, usually when I'm soaking my feet. Perhaps I could have done the two jobs at the same time  :lol:

You have to stick with the jam once you've embarked on it (pardon the pun) and it takes quite a while from start to finish.  Once I'd completed the job I then had to embark on fresh scones so we could test the jam  :tongue2:
It's a very thick jam!  I like mine with a little less give but hey it's done now. Slice of jam anyone?  :D

Here they are, my finished jam pots

bjam.jpg

Beetroot queen

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, 13:32 »
A slice of jam is so under rated, we often have slces on scones  :lol:

Mrs Bee

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2013, 17:45 »
Oh, indeed you just have to make some scones to test the jam for quality control ::) ::)

Blackcurrant jam can go a little stiff if you leave it just a couple of minutes too long.
I am sure yours will be gorgeous.  We go blackcurrant picking at the moment until we have our fruit plot done and organised and OH prefers me to freeze them for tarts, pies, ices and cheesecakes... oh an mousses too.

However I am going through the freezers and using up the remaining fruit to make into jam so I have space to put the son's food for his birthday bash. I am feeling my age at the moment and need to spread the workload.

So maybe I can get away with using some of the blackcurrants for jam so long as I use it for the cupboard and not for sale :D

BobE

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2013, 02:27 »

Buy some Jam Jars and get Jamming.  :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2013, 06:41 »

Buy some Jam Jars and get Jamming.  :D

Madcat already posted to say she has a cunning plan Bob  ;)

but I have a cunning plan ....   ;)

The redcurrent icecream is wonderful.  I'm going to have a go at your Crème fraiche sorbet tonight (see recipes thread) which I bet will be brilliant too.

The sorbet sounds good  :)  May have to go and check that one out myself  :D

compostqueen

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2013, 10:24 »
Right, got that!  Left for too long. Thanks for that. I had just convinced myself that it was because the fruit was so concentratedly fruity that it caused it to be too thick  :D  It is lovely  and there are still lots of whole berries in there.  I just had some on my breakfast rye toast  :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:

I am going to make a cheesecake type mousse with some of the remaining blackcurrants, whizzed up with low fat cottage cheese and no sugar jelly

xx
Frozen Black currants?

Started by darvillej on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post October 07, 2011, 09:32
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Drying black currants?

Started by Deborah1 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post July 17, 2018, 16:29
by Deborah1
xx
Freezing black currants to make jam later

Started by missmoneypenny on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post July 24, 2018, 18:18
by Pescador
xx
Glut of PSB!!

Started by Kleftiwallah on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post March 31, 2022, 15:28
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 39 queries.