Pruning Advice

• 6 Replies

simonwatson

Pruning Advice
« on: December 23, 2014, 13:35 »
Hi,

I'm after some advice about how to prune this two year old half standard James Grieve on MM106. It looks like any feathers on the maiden were cut right back when it was headed to half standard height. The first two pictures are the tree in question. The third is an Ellison's Orange Pippin of the same age with a much nice shape, just for comparison.

My plan is to cut off the top completely, back to the highest lateral. The highest two laterals look strong enough and so will be pruned back two thirds as per normal instructions for year two pruning.

The lower laterals are very weak, but two are well placed to form the rest of the scaffold. Do I still prune these back by two thirds or should it be less given how small they are.

As an alternative, I could wire the top two leaders outwards to become side branches as they are still quite supple and then remove the lower very weak laterals altogether.

Any advice or comment on the above would be greatly appreciated.
20141220_132906 (Large).JPG
20141220_132932 (Large).JPG
20141220_133028 (Large).JPG

Nobbie

Re: Pruning Advice
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 14:12 »
Does it get any sun? It doesn't look like it's enjoying the position right next to the shed and is only putting out weak growth as a result. Maybe just leave it to grow a bit higher and get some sun.

simonwatson

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 14:28 »
I should have said, the position it's in for the photo is just where I put it for good contrast. I actually received the tree a few days ago from a reputable tree nursery. It's planted position is much sunnier.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 14:29 by simonwatson »

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 15:55 »
I should have said, the position it's in for the photo is just where I put it for good contrast. I actually received the tree a few days ago from a reputable tree nursery. It's planted position is much sunnier.

Ah, that makes more sense, I think I'd cut back the top two laterals and let them break to form a new bowl. I'm not sure the rest of the growth will be much use as the strong branch may unbalance the tree and the smaller shoots aren't going to do much.

simonwatson

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 16:02 »
I never though of that, but it makes sense. Just cut them both back by two thirds or so and see what they do and remove all the other growth?

fatcat1955

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 16:07 »
You should be aiming to get a wine glass shape with the centre of the tree open to let light in.

tangojulie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 12:38 »
One of the few pieces of pruning advice that I have remembered is that you prune strong growth less and weak growth more, to even it out. Apparently this is because hard pruning leaves fewer buds to get that branch's share of nutrients (or something!) so what's left on a hard pruned branch grows more strongly.

xx
best advice on pruning gooseberries please

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 10, 2011, 16:52
by alfalfa
xx
Advice on Raspberry pruning

Started by Sweet Pea 2 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 10, 2011, 12:35
by Sweet Pea 2
xx
pruning a plumtree advice please

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 03, 2012, 22:00
by sunshineband
xx
More apple pruning advice, please

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 14, 2018, 16:26
by Lardman

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 36 queries.