carrots outside

• 5 Replies

mike0001

• Experienced Member
carrots outside
« on: April 29, 2013, 20:48 »
read so many ways of sowing carrots so going to try 2 ways

one I mini raised bed and 1 direct in to soil in rows.. both covered with fleece
any opinions on carrots , are they easier to grow than what people make out really

direct under fleece as well

starry

Re: carrots outside
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 21:36 »
I usually grow mine in 2 big plastic tubs however last year I didnt get a single carrot as they were constantly being eating by slugs and snails so this year I will be growing them at home where I can keep a better eye on them but I do get a good crop like this  :)
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 22:14 »
I've had success in the garden bed, and in tubs - both covered with enviromesh.

Can't grow them for love nor money on the allotment - different sort of soil I think  :(

allot2learn

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 22:24 »
I have failed the last three years so I now have two old baths. I filled them with a mixture of potting compost and horticultural sand. I have sown four rows in each bath and covered with a piece of twinwall polycarbonate sheet. They are germinating slowly and if and when they are all through, I will cover with enviromesh.

Hopefully, I may get a crop this year.

al78

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 23:28 »
I am in my first year so attempting to grow carrots direct in the soil, because it is clay I am not that optimistic of getting much of a crop out. The only time I have grown carrots successfully was in a bucket with a hole drilled in the bottom.

I can't see any sign of carrot seedlings from the sowing I made two weeks ago, I hope something comes up in the next week or so.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 09:12 »
read so many ways of sowing carrots so going to try 2 ways

one I mini raised bed and 1 direct in to soil in rows.. both covered with fleece
any opinions on carrots , are they easier to grow than what people make out really

Although carrots are clearly going to struggle in the heaviest soils, and can be reluctant to germinate in very cold wet conditions, I only know two ways of virtually guaranteeing failure - one is to try to grow at ground level without enviromesh protection so that carrot flies ruin the crop, the other is to sow, cover with enviromesh and not take precautions against slugs which may be underneath it, either in or on the soil (they can wipe out your seedlings before you even get to see them!)  :ohmy:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.
xx
carrots

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 21:42
by beesrus
xx
carrots???

Started by stephent on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 14, 2013, 23:56
by wil4025
xx
carrots again....

Started by andreadon on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 13, 2009, 15:00
by woodburner

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 30 queries.