carrots

• 32 Replies

diggerjoe

Re: carrots
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2010, 11:02 »
I'm determined to grow some this year- failed miserably in the past so have an enviromesh tunnel ready and waiting, have dug a trench and filled with sieved soil and sand and if they grow and the family dont eat them I am taking them ( family) to car boot and swapping them :D :D :D

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2010, 21:19 »
from what ive read these are one of the hardest veg to get right?
so after reading everthing i could im going to put 3 se3eds in a toilet roll holder

let them germinate fingers crossed and when i plant them out i shall slit the loo roll with a stanley blade and put them in the alloted patch on the lotty and cover with some quality netting this i hope will work or has any of the olduns got a sure fire way that they would care to share

regards

Flitwick0ne
firstly a net will solve nothing im afraid, carrot root fly will easily get through this which is the main problem for carrots. They germinate vey easily in the ground so no need to sow in moduels or loo rolls. If you do use loo rolls there is no need to cut the tube just plant and the tubes will rot. If you are that worried plant over 2ft as carrot root fly can only fly that high or cover with horticultural fleece tunnels u can buy chapley of ebay :) :)
Hope this helps
new to this, so all help and advice is greatly appreciated and well needed!!

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2010, 21:21 »
Just a quick question about sharp sand. I have just built a raised bed for my carrots and was going to improve the drainage buy putting some sand in but have said not to use the builders stuff because it contains impurities.
Any advice
i mixed in normal sharp buildes sand to my 1 meter tall beds and had massive success with carrots so i would worry too much :) :)

xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.
xx
When to net carrots?

Started by Bluedave on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 22:20
by Salmo
xx
Carrots

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 24, 2012, 21:04
by heygrow
xx
Carrots

Started by Patrick on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2007, 07:36
by crowndale

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 28 queries.