Hens prefer mash to pellets?

• 7 Replies

Nefertari

Hens prefer mash to pellets?
« on: July 21, 2011, 08:57 »
Hi all,

this is my first post on the poultry pages - I used to post on allotments - when I had one.  I've recently moved house to one with a much bigger garden so have combined the lottie with chuck keeping.

I've 3 hens at the moment, a copper-black, a sussex star and a bluebelle.  I got them as POL and have had them 4 weeks now.  The CB is the only one laying but the others are displaying signs of nearing lay I think.

I'm on hols from work this week and have spent a lot of time gardening - in the rain.  I let the girls out to FR when I'm out there.  The CB is also top hen and first to grab the odd earthworm or slug as I dig them up.  However, I have noticed Mabel has been passing a lot of water with her poo. This morning the poo tray was soaking wet. 

Someone elsewhere thought she wasn't eating enough or had crop problems.  I checked her crop this morning and was empty.  She's lively as usual and first to the feeder and drinker.

I bought some layers mash ready for the ex batts next weekend so put out some of that this morning.  Mabel is top hen so took control of the dish, 20 mins later was still eating from it and ignoring the pellets.

So I wonder if she hasn't been eating enough.  Do some hens just not like pellets?

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
Re: Hens prefer mash to pellets?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 10:05 »
Hi i'm no expert but I can draw on my own short experience of owning hens!

First I think I am right in saying that their crops should be empty in the morning before they get a chance to get to the food.  They should have digested all their food overnight  :)

Also my guys LOVE mash... they are on pellets throughout the day and do eat them but at 6pm they get some of their pellets made into a mash with warm water.  I usually add a little corn or fruit depending on what is available.  They really do love it...  They go mad for it and their dish is always empty by bed time!  So yes, I think chooks do prefer mash it's just upto you if you want to deal with the mess  :tongue2:

Kenilworth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 10:38 »
From what i understand Nicki is spot on regarding their crops though i must say  i am nothing more than a keen amateur

Regarding the Mash depends what you mean by mash?

You  get "museli type" mash which you feed dry. We were advised to use this rather than pellets because it is a little bit more awkard for them to peck at thus they take more time to feed and less time to get bored and into mischief!!

Or there is the mash described by Nicki which is more like a porridge. I do this sometimes but only as a treat.

If you are worried about one hen not getting enough food have you considered putting out a few more feeders?

Regarding do some hens just not like pellets? Possibly, each hen will have their own little personality, preferences, tastes  and traits.

Forgot to say that there is a thread discribing different types of chicken poo with pictures  :ohmy: :wacko: in the "Poultry FAQs and other Information"
may be worth having a look there ;) :)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 11:03 by Kenilworth »

Raven81

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 12:00 »

Also my guys LOVE mash... they are on pellets throughout the day and do eat them but at 6pm they get some of their pellets made into a mash with warm water.  I usually add a little corn or fruit depending on what is available.  They really do love it...  They go mad for it and their dish is always empty by bed time!  So yes, I think chooks do prefer mash it's just upto you if you want to deal with the mess  :tongue2:

I know at least one of mine is eating the pellets, but they do prefer mash!
I do exactly the same as Nicki in the evenings as a change, they love it! I give it to them in their run (and in the mornings anything left over disappears when I turn over the ground in the mornings) in one of those double cat bowls to make sure they can all have some.

I guess like all animals they all have different things they like (says me that this morning discovered my cat eating brocolli on the kitchen floor  :ohmy:)

The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

Nefertari

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 17:45 »
Hello everyone and thank you all for your replies.  The reason I mentioned her crop was because someone suggested she might have an impacted crop in which case it would have still felt hard in the morning - but it didn't.  they get white maggots about once a week for a treat anyway.

I'd bought some layers mash which does look like museli really.  Isn't it just the same as pellets but in powdered form?

she's laid her egg as normal today and is happily necking some mash right now.  When they were out FR this afternoon, I put in the garden a feeder of pellets, one of mash and their water - all within 1/2m. All 3 girls had the mash and completely ignored the pellets.  Yet these pellets are the same as they were on at the breeders.

Girls eh!

Elcie

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 20:33 »
I accidentally picked up a pack of mash rather than pellets a while back.  Decided to give it to them and they really loved it!  They now get mash in one feeder and pellets in the other, that way they can make a choice.  I sometimes put out bowls of corn too and they then get the choice of three different foods.

Debsie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 07:26 »
mine always have mash and they seem to love it, had pellets once as could not get mash, loved those also, think my girls are just extremely greedy!!!

Kenilworth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 09:28 »
I'd bought some layers mash which does look like museli really.  Isn't it just the same as pellets but in powdered form?

yeah exactly the same just a different form

xx
Mash or Pellets,or both?

Started by RosiesChooks on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 12:43
by Jeanette
xx
mash or pellets

Started by gregs1972 on The Hen House

32 Replies
Last post October 26, 2007, 08:31
by muntjac
xx
mash or pellets

Started by gregs1972 on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post October 24, 2007, 08:08
by si-mate
xx
Pellets or mash ?

Started by Mr Chookles on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 31, 2008, 21:11
by Vember

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 28 queries.