mice and rats??

• 7 Replies

Foxy

mice and rats??
« on: January 05, 2008, 20:37 »
Now then, the other day did find one rat in a nest under our broody coop-it def was a single rat as I had moved the coop only two weeks before.
Right on the other side of  the garden found tunnels in the big run and had presumed to have rats. Anyway my OH investigated again tonight with a huge torch and found 2 quite large but definately mice. Now I thought rats and mice don't live in the same spot? Any advice appreciated!

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Re: mice and rats??
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 20:45 »
Quote from: "Foxy"
it def was a single rat !

must - not - make - joke

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
mice and rats??
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 20:56 »
Kill them all !!  :twisted:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
mice and rats??
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 22:35 »
No such thing as a single rat sorry.  :(

I was in my greenhouse today and turned to find I was being watched by 2, saucy little b**g**s no fear at all.  I crept up later to see about 8 wandering round.  Having a cuppa half way through my cleaning out and they were running back and forward between the trees :shock:

I have purchased another 10kg tub of poison and will carry on  putting it down on a regular basis as you never get rid of them totally all you can do is try to lessen the problem.  We live near a rail line and have a lot of outbuildings and rough land to tame which they have obv been colonising for some years before our arrival, the task is for me to now try and control it to a small extent.

Mice are not so bad as my kittens seem to catch at least 4 a night and the little bodies are left for my inspection  and delight every morning in the utility room :?

Foxy

mice and rats??
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 16:55 »
Hi Slowef, we may have a combination of mice and rats-which means that the mice and rats are living in the same tunnels? The tunnels are very narrow max 2" -and we have only seen mice there.
The rat we saw had its own nest-under our broody coop. I am sure it came from the cattle farm next door-question is can they be living together? we have been putting bait down which has been taken, although nothing in the snap traps -the bait was taken from them!!! :x

Jellyhead

mice and rats??
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 18:58 »
Just before the rats got some of our babies I had seen mice droppings in the coop. I also found some small tunnels. I thought that it wouldnt be a problem and then suddenly, murder. So, rats and mice may share the tunnels so I would never take the chance again. Only one lot of poison put down and it stopped the problem and now I just check every time I go in that there are NO droppings, mouse or rat :D
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
mice and rats??
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 20:34 »
Bodgers the bloke to talk to he holds some kind of certificate for vermin control I think.

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
mice and rats??
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 22:08 »
Country (non-sewer)  rats are smaller I was surprised at them only about 5-6inches long like large mice are you sure thats not what you have?

xx
rats .rats and more blooming rats

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post March 06, 2007, 11:40
by muntjac
xx
mice

Started by 2sam16 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 21, 2011, 20:51
by joyfull
xx
i have mice

Started by craig1981 on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post July 23, 2011, 23:41
by Junie
xx
mice!!!!

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 19:15
by Prod

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 28 queries.