greenhouse glass

• 7 Replies

AK9

greenhouse glass
« on: October 20, 2014, 09:50 »
Hi,
Moved to a new plot where there is already a greenhouse installed. Over the weekend tried to add all the glass panes into the greenhouse but now I have few issues:

-Some of the panes have more overlap than the standard z ones. Any idea where I can find z overlaps that have lenght 10cm?

-The pane of the roof fentilator has crached in the top corner. Shall I replace this? I dont think it is horticultural glass since it only crack and only a very small piece broke.

-There are few panes where I can find small gaps. Shall I tape the gaps?

-Tried the G clips, but really cant see why they are supposed to be better than the W ones. How do you used them? If i bend the G clips to fit between the glass and the frame, then obviously they are not holding the frame much..

Finally any idea where I can buy glass? I am missing one in the front.

Many thanks!

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
Re: greenhouse glass
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 10:33 »
Z overlaps are easy enough to make if you need non standard sizes. Replace any cracked or damaged panes.
You can buy horticulteral glass from any good glazier. Are you near Herne Bay? If so Vincents Nursery sells second hand glass £2.00 a pane (last December)
May the fork be with you

AK9

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 08:53 »
Thanks shedmeister.
No, I am in Surrey so will call local glaziers.

Will also wait to see how it will cope with the weather today..

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 09:05 »
I bought some proper greenhouse tape. It's not cheap but it's good. I got mine from Two West & Elliott

Clips are cheap as chips from Wilko

I hate faffing about with greenhouse glass as it's so fragile and therefore dangerous!!!!!  Take great care. I've broken more pieces than I've ever managed to fit so I call our local glazier out and let him do it. He has those sucker things to hold the glass in place while he manoeuvres it into place, proper cutting tool to.   :)

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 13:48 »
I've broken more pieces than I've ever managed to fit so I call our local glazier out and let him do it. He has those sucker things to hold the glass in place while he manoeuvres it into place, proper cutting tool to.   :)

Previously I had no problems cutting glass, but with the last lot I was shattering left, right and centre. Turns out as the glass was recycled and I'd just given it a quick wipe the scribe was skidding on rather than scoring the surface. Gave everything a really good clean after that and things were back to normal. 

-Some of the panes have more overlap than the standard z ones. Any idea where I can find z overlaps that have lenght 10cm?

You can get ½ formed ali Z clips you can just bend to length by hand. http://www.twowests.co.uk/product/part-formed-z-greenhouse-glazing-clips

-Tried the G clips, but really cant see why they are supposed to be better than the W ones. How do you used them? If i bend the G clips to fit between the glass and the frame, then obviously they are not holding the frame much..

Are they supposed to be better? I thought it was just a brand thing. I have G clips on my crittal and W on the halls. Once both sides of the glass have the G clips on they tend to hold well and seem to put far less force on the surface of the glass.

If you have cracks Id tape them up, especially in this weather.  Corners missing can be patched with polycarb and tape but it's always nicer to have new. I taped mine up until I found some glass going cheap locally on ebay, otherwise it was 4 quid a piece  :ohmy:

AK9

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 12:13 »
I was somehow told that G were better but to be honest I dont think so (or at least the ones I was using). SInce I have to bend them in order to fit them, they dont seem to regain their original tension so they usually dropped from the glass..

Thanks for the overlap Z. I need these!

compostqueen,
Totally agree, these glasses are dangerous. One of the panes just hit (with very little force) another glass and immediately it broke into two big pieces..
Thank god I was not holding it then.
Not sure if the gloves I was wearing would make any difference...

Will check the greenhouse tomorrow to see if anything is left..

Many thanks for your responses!

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 00:03 »
As a quick tip for cutting second hand glass.
Give it a good wipe with meths prior to cutting. It gets shot of all muck and grease and you will then get a clean score with your cutter.

jezza

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 20:58 »
hi are all the panes in the right place some greenhouses have the top row of glass 2feet by 2 feet then 2 rows 18"by 2feet if put in wrong order you will have gaps if you need glass i have some (2scrapped 10by 8 greenhouses)is it 18"by 24"for front   jezza

xx
Greenhouse glass

Started by Fluff on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post February 25, 2009, 17:04
by si-mate
wireless
greenhouse no glass

Started by compoQ on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 19:29
by compoQ
xx
New Greenhouse No glass!

Started by carlrmj on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 12, 2012, 19:02
by carlrmj
xx
Greenhouse needs glass

Started by Njal on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post February 16, 2009, 20:30
by beansticks

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 38 queries.