rotovator

• 15 Replies

harry

rotovator
« on: June 25, 2010, 12:36 »
I'm keen to buy a petrol rotovator and the mantis has been recomended to me. There are cheaper ones but i don't know which to go for. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this :mellow:
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

Alfie

• Experienced Member
    • Chester Vintage Enthusiasts Club
Re: rotovator
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 13:53 »
I've been running a Mantis for the last couple of years and it's been a 100% reliable.
Graham

Behind every successful man stands a surprised mother-in-law

jimbeekeeper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 14:17 »
Go for the 4 stoke mantis.  Its great.

harry

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 15:31 »
Thanks for confirming what i thought the mantis is what i shall go for. :D :happy:

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 15:41 »
Personally I wouldn't go for the mantis, I find them a bit too small.

I know a lot of people love them, but for my heavy clay I find something just a little bigger than the Mantis tiller is better.

I have a Honda FG201, which I think is absolutely brilliant and would thoroughly recommend, It is a fair bit heavier than the Mantis though so if you you have lots of raise beds it might not be quite so practical.

Troopersnoots

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 18:24 »
You'll not be dissappointed with a 4 stroke Mantis, got mine in march and I wouldn't be without it.
Main plus point for me was something that was portable, no way was I going to leave anything of value in my shed on the plot.
I've taken mine up to the plot about 8 times since then, dead easy to carry from the car, unfold the handles fill with juice and off you go. Quick brush down and drain fuel when you finished fold down handles and back in the car.

Snoop

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 00:31 »
Another possibility is the Honda FG110. Carpenter bought one a while back and said it was very good. I'm still saving up... :(

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 23:28 »
I bought a Honda fg110 a couple of years ago and have been very pleased with the way it starts , what it can do and how easy it is to transport.  It has very similar spec to the Mantis but may be a bit dearer for spares.  Also has optional  lawn maintenance attachments if you want them.  Both worth looking at I would think but Honda probably has better service backup nationally if that is what you want.  Neither really suitable for heavy work on an overgrown plot but you can always hire one for this. Creates fine tilth for seed sowing very easily and makes light work of routine digging tasks very quickly.  Well worth the investment in my view.
John

jimbeekeeper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 07:48 »
I have a howard 350 which is good for about 1 acre, which you would never do with the mantis.

BUT likewise the manits is perfect for intercropping, i.e working between crops or weeding.

I orginaly used it very well on 4 beds 2 m x 10 m each, but I had pre dugg with a larger hired machine before I had bought the mantis.

I was one of the doubters before I got the manis, but now I would not be without it.

(I now sound like a TV advert for it, but I dont sell it/work for them, honest.)

harry

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 12:22 »
Thanks for all the helpfull suggestions, i've just looked at the Mantis and FG110 on the internet and both are £339 so i'm not sure which one now, but the mantis looks favourite with it being lighter. :wacko:

Gwiz

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 12:30 »
I've seen both in use, I prefer the Honda, but i think they're both as good as each other.
There's a very good offer on the mantis though............

jimbeekeeper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 13:05 »
I liked with the mantis they allow you to spread the cost over 4 equal payments with no added cost.

+ I would say it is the more well known of the 2.

harry

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 13:09 »
Mantis it is then :D :D :D

harry

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 15:49 »
Just ordered my Mantis :D :D

Larkshall

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 07:00 »
I bought the Mantis Electric. It worked very well until I lent it to some neighbours who managed to burn out the motor. It cost £95 to replace the motor and instead of 750watts the new motor was only 520watts.

I have now bought an Einhell Petrol Rotavator which is cheaper and more robust, power per inch of width is far better than the Merrytiller (working at the same depth). Our clay soil is too much for the Mantis, it can only be used after the soil has been dug or Rotavated previously.

question
WHICH rotovator

Started by Penfold on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 22:05
by Penfold
xx
ROTOVATOR MTD T/380

Started by hayter on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 14:49
by hayter
xx
what rotovator

Started by keljacs on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post May 12, 2011, 12:21
by Vit
xx
rotovator id if you can please

Started by binner on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post November 10, 2009, 19:56
by binner

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 35 queries.