Parsnip seedlings/parsnip plants ?

• 7 Replies

alan/gill

Parsnip seedlings/parsnip plants ?
« on: April 24, 2019, 00:43 »
I have headed this seedlings or plants becouse im not sure how to describe them .
Anyway,here the thing for the last 2 years we have had problems growing Parsnips in our allotment ,today we took a trip to our local garden center for some garden flowers and we came across these Parsnip seedlings/plants which is something we have never seen before and after googling it found nothing .Will  be interesting to get your replys

DHM

• Experienced Member
Re: Parsnip seedlings/parsnip plants ?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 07:00 »
Personally, I'd be a bit dubious of buying these; parsnip roots need unhindered passage downwards to grow straight and in a pot/cell they are unlikely to have enough space to grow as such vertically. Unless they are a short stumpy variety perhaps I don't think they suit starting off in pots or cells, if they did we'd all be doing it wouldn't we? No harm in trying some if you have the space, be very interesting to hear if they work or not.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 07:26 »
No, no and thrice no.

As said, you have to be very careful with parsnip seedlings. They have a very long, quick growing tap root and once they hit the bottom of the tray/pot - that's it. To stand a chance, they have to be grown in tall paper pots or cardboard tubes.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Potterer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 13:39 »
Have you seen the various threads with ideas of how to grow parsnips, as they are notoriously variable in germinating..... I have today put seeds onto damp kitchen paper in a clear plastic container. When I see which ones have germinated I am going to put them on my allotment. Previously I have made at v shaped trench across a raised bed and then filled it with shop brought compost, then put the germinated seeds onto that. This year I might use a long diner, make holes, fill them with compost and then put seeds on top, lightly covered. I have stony ground so need to put the compost to stop the parsnips from forking.

theothermarg

• me
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 16:22 »
This year I made holes filled it with GPC and sowed several seeds in then put radish in-between, I am happy to say both are doing well, can't swear to every seed taking and to soon to say on a second row, we shall see.
 I know someone who bought those strips also carrot and she was happy with plants until harvest time
Triffids  :ohmy: :ohmy:
Tell me and I,ll forget,Show me and I might
remember,Involve me and I,ll understand

Jax64

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 16:57 »
I’ve germinated mine on kitchen roll, now in small pots, as soon as they have 4 leaves in total, tiny, out onto plot. Have done this for about 8 years with no problem.

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 18:31 »
I'm with Potterer on this. I dibbed fairly deep holes, filled with GPC and sowed three seeds on top. Kept them damp (they seem to fail if they have germinated but then dry out) and then thinned to one strong seedling. The result was enormous straight parsnips - one lasted us for a week!

theothermarg

• me
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 11:44 »
Early days but so far I'm feeling impressed by this method, mine is clay soil so used to wonky veg.

xx
Parsnip Seedlings

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 28, 2012, 10:11
by sunshineband
xx
Parsnip seedlings

Started by stentman on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 13, 2010, 23:32
by twiggy-pea-sticks
xx
Parsnip Seedlings

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 02, 2009, 21:08
by peapod
xx
Parsnip Seedlings, or Weeds!

Started by Jenny J on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 10, 2012, 11:34
by Jenny J

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 42 queries.