French marigolds

• 5 Replies

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
French marigolds
« on: May 12, 2009, 22:22 »
1st time sowing these as companion crop for veggies.  Was pessimistic re germination but now Ive got various small plant pots / seed trays with numerous seedlings close together.  Do I need to thin to one seedling per pot or best to cluster?

Cheers

Trillium

Re: French marigolds
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 22:24 »
Marigolds do appreciate some growing space, so if you can, try to spread them out a bit. You can leave them in the clump, but you'll notice they're not as large/tall as they could be if they'd been spaced.

chrissie B

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 11:48 »
once you have had marigolds in the garden you will never need another pack of seeds as they pop up all over the place , i love them but so do the slus and snails , luckily its hot all the time now so we dont see many unless it rains .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Faz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 13:17 »
i have the same problem (if it is a problem!). I sowed two packets in a few trays and now have absolutely loads of marigolds. they are getting big enough to need potting on so I have started to plant them out into a few pots - but i will still have a massive number left over to stick around the patch in random places  :)

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 08:51 »
Its A good idea to plant a few marigolds in your greenhouse among the tomatoes and other plants helps pollination and beneficial insects . :D

Stripey_cat

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 10:50 »
once you have had marigolds in the garden you will never need another pack of seeds as they pop up all over the place

My experience is that they're not hardy in England, so you lose any autumn-germinated seedlings.  I find it best to save some seed and sow it indoors in the spring.

Mine are pricked out in ones, twos and threes; I find this still gives them room to spread out sideways, but saves the root damage from disentangling the worst of the clumps.  Repeat my mantra "I will not procrastinate pricking out".

xx
French Marigolds

Started by buckie on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 10, 2007, 22:34
by sootypaws
xx
dwarf french marigolds - in bulk

Started by spudgun on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post August 29, 2011, 10:57
by spudgun
xx
marigolds

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 20:58
by chrissie B
xx
Marigolds

Started by A Reyt Tayty on General Gardening

25 Replies
Last post May 04, 2012, 18:10
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 36 queries.