Can anyone tell me the correct height/width a pearch should be...

• 7 Replies

Pixieswift

• Experienced Member
Hi Guy's
Just setting out to make some new pearches for my girl's new house, i heard that the width should be about 2" is this right???
Also how thick should the wood be, i know i need to round off the edges but really uncertain as to how thick the wood should be...
Also i have Bantam's mixed with large breeds is it ok the same width for there little feet...
I want to get it right!!!!
Many thanks

grumpydad

2" x 2" or 3" x 2" is fine, rounded corners at the top, bantams will cope as well, mine did, should be no more that 24 " from the ground, it is the jumping down that can cause problems, mine are 12 " from the ground, had no problems at all.

Raven81

When we got ours we thought 2" seemed really wide but when we saw them perching on them we realised it was right!! We couldn't work out how to make them round so bought round landscape poles from a DIY store (they have a point on one end but we sawed that off) and they seemed to work perfectly, tho it may work out a bit pricey if you were to buy several as they are £5 each.
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

Jacinta

i used a bit of 2''x2'' and ran the corners through a table saw at 45 degrees all the way around, was really proud of it!  Mine is at 18'' so they can get under it without ducking and it sits 6'' above the pop hole height.  Gives them the run of the floor and is easy to poo pick etc.  Make it removable too so it can be cleaned if it gets dirty, makes it easier to coat with diatom/poultry shield slurry too to keep the red mite at bay.   

Pixieswift

• Experienced Member
Many thanks for all your helpful reply's, all i have to do now is get them to perch on them, for some reason they all sleep in there nest boxes or on the floor, they seem perfectly comfortable there and are all laying daily...
I think our old perches were to low to the floor, there bum's were nearly touching the floor!!!!
Hope they love there new one  :) :) :)

Sassy

Perches should be higher than the nest box but not above it - hope that makes sense!
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
My girls seem determined to roost on the highest point in their coop.  The first night I got them home one slept on the lid of a jar on a high shelf.  I have no idea how she got up there or managed to balance all night!  :unsure:

Even when they are on their high perch I see them looking up and around to see if I have installed something higher since last night.  ::)

andy and deb

I just got a tree branch and fixed it at about 12 inches from the coup floor they seem fine with it , I suppose it depends how much height there is in your coup ...

question
Height of run

Started by neil9797 on The Hen House

56 Replies
Last post January 17, 2010, 19:35
by Bonniebean
xx
Height of coop

Started by Mega on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 26, 2012, 20:59
by Mega
xx
Cochins and height

Started by Viv on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 13:43
by Viv
xx
Fence height

Started by steptoe and son on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2010, 12:46
by eddy h

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 36 queries.