vets advice correct?

• 13 Replies

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
vets advice correct?
« on: September 11, 2010, 09:37 »
Sorry to keep posting but am v worried my girl may have peritinitis.
My vet has just told me if an egg breaks inside then she'd just hope it would pass through - my understanding is that if an egg breaks whilst inside it almost always causes peritinitis?? 
I insisted she see her and she's going to give her a broad spectrum antibiotic and something to bring temperature down if she has one....
Any thoughts?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: vets advice correct?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 10:44 »
Hi CattinJ - sorry about your prolapsed hen  :(  Is this post about the chicken you talked about in your other post?  The one where the egg was laid but you had to get some shell out of her?

If yes, I think you should be OK.  Peritonitis is where the egg doesn't get picked up by the oviduct and remains within the body cavity.  It can be reabsorbed but the yolk is an ideal breeding ground for bacteria and that can lead to peritonitis.  Yours had the egg almost out so a broad spectrum antibiotic should be belt and braces.

Check for swollen abdomen, lethargy, dark coloured comb or breathing difficulties and if your hen develops any of these, get her back to the vet pdq.

evie2

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 12:37 »
Never be sorry to post a topic or question, it's how we all learn :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 17:49 »
Hi there - yes this is the poorly hen who laid the soft egg this morning.  She went to the vet at 10.30 am - and had her antibiotic injection.  since then has stayed hunched all day not eating/drinking.  Her comb seems very hot although the vet says she didnt have a temperature.  She's drinking from a pippette and seems very thirsty but wont eat and wont drink without the dropper.
I have another injection to give her tomorrow...not sure if there's anything else I can be doing.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 08:14 »
There are a few threads on here with people with poorly hens so have a quick look on Golden Polish is not well & Urgent help - dog attacked my chickens where various forum members suggest how to nurse a hen through.

Water is essential so keep up with that but she needs quiet, warmth and some food as well - hope it all works out  :)

ehs284

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 08:24 »
A little sugar and asprin in the water may help.
 Best of luck

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 08:39 »
Hi sorry to here about your hen, mine lay softies quite often its their age and they are rescue hens so I expect these things, one of them takes time to get over laying a softie and she will sit hunched up and not seem too interested in food sometimes for a couple of days, to see if your girl has a temperature feel under her wing then feel under another chicken and see if hers is hotter. hope she feels better soon

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 17:23 »
I think she's getting worse...she had her 2nd injection today at 10.30am and this is now day 2 where she's hunched and not moving.  her comb is bright red and very hot.

I'm pippetting her with water treated with Coxoid treated water and she seems thirsty. She's eating very little - Im pippetting a bot of sort of gruel made with porridge oats, layers mash, cold liver oil, water and some liquid minerals.

Her poos are this awful creamy/egg white-like liquid and have been for 2 days.

ANY help or advice would be so greatfully received.

bantam novice

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 18:19 »
Keeping everything crossed that she pulls through.   Keep us posted
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 18:32 »
CattinJ - here's a link to the poo giude on the forum so you can check your hens poos against the pictures on here

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

The hot comb would indicate a fever of some sort, but not sure what else you can do apart from continue with the anti-bios and the TLC.  As long as you are getting something into her she has a fair chance  :)

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 19:12 »
SO sorry to hear about your poorly girl. I lost one of my hens today, 3 days after my pup got in the run and harrassed them for 2 hours, injuring them. I did everything I could for Sue, fed her and gave her water, cleaned the coop out and disinfected it, left her warm and quiet, but today she just gave up, the stress was just too much to cope with. She was the least injured, hardly a mark on her, the other two have nasty neck wounds, but are doing really well. It seems to me that it's all down to the inner strength of the chicken. May sound hippy trippy, but some can handle illness and shock, some cant.
I've got my fingers crossed for your lady, but you have gone above and beyond the point of care that some would, you've done everything you possibly could, so if she doesnt make it, she just wasnt strong enough and you cant blame yourself for that. To be honest, it doesnt sound good, but if she can hold on long enough for the antibiotics to kick in, you may be in luck. Just keep doing what you're doing, there's no more you could be doing for her xx
It's heart breaking isnt it. Nothing worse than opening that pop hole in a morning and waiting to see who emerges. Keep us posted xx
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 21:24 »
Thanks Carla,
I read your post about your girls with neck wounds - am so sorry one didnt make it - it's so hard isn't it? Glad the other 2 are doing well though (and thank you for your kind words when you must be having a bit of a tough time yourself)   I adore my girls - they make me so happy, but when things go wrong it's heartbreaking and so, so stressful. 
Will see how she is tomorrow morning...thankfully am working from home so can keep an eye on her.
Cat

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 09:27 »
How is she today Cat??

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 10:21 »
hi Carla,
still hunched but possibly a bit perkier, it's difficult to say - she didnt come out of the coop so I lifted her out and she made her way to some water and has been drinking a lot. Has made a few chirruping noises and has preened herself - so at least some normal signs.  I then had to go out so dont know if she's eaten anything but I doubt it as she was still by the water when I got back.
Have made up some more porridge which Im going to liquidise and pippette down her.  Another forum said not to feed when ill, but if I dont am worried she will fade away.

xx
Should I take her to the vets?

Started by CattinJ on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 10, 2012, 11:49
by joyfull
xx
Had to go to the vets

Started by Jeanette on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 29, 2010, 21:23
by Aunt Sally
xx
vets bill

Started by chook mother on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post June 16, 2010, 08:17
by Sassy
xx
Poultry Vets?

Started by Devonian on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 03, 2009, 12:27
by North Devon Dumpling

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 40 queries.