the bottom of the pecking order

• 10 Replies

karlooben

the bottom of the pecking order
« on: March 01, 2009, 17:58 »
my cuckoo maran is right down the bottom of the pecking order , i was watching them today an the other girls are chasing her away from any food ,i have about 6 different food stations for them to choose from an to me it seems like she doesnt get much at all. i was wandering wether its worth me putting her into the smaller shed on her own of a night time { or with another girl } so then at least she gets to eat properly an then let her out in the morning with the others only thing with the smaller shed my girls just love laying in it  so if i was to use it at night to house 2 birds would it confuse them with laying or do i just leave things as they are until my other run is built { could be a few months though } if i get permission for it . sorry to go on about my girl but it does worry me  :(
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Vember

Re: the bottom of the pecking order
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 18:10 »
Hi Looby

I think if it were me I would separate at night and pop food in. Probably even spoil her a bit with mealworms :lol:

The other girls will go somewhere else to lay, if they can't get in there. I doubt they'll be too concerned :D

Sarah :D

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 18:22 »
would she be ok on her own , i do have one that hasnt never really grown good feather an on closer inspection today i found her to still have lice eggs on the feather stems but shes had a good going over with daitom this morning  but she could go in there with her of a night then they can both come out in the morning like normal an the other girls can stull lay in there during the day .

but i can now get hold of my maran { callled essie } i grabbed her the other night as she was going into the larger house an that must of freaked her out as now when i go close she crouches down so i can get hold of her again .

Vember

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 18:43 »
i'd pop another one in if possible to keep her company. I would definitely continue to let them with the others during the day :) She might have more energy to fight back once she's had a good meal, might even make top chuck one day :D

:lol: Grabbing her like that must have made her think your were a domineering cockerel if she's now squatting for you :lol:

Is she laying yet ?

Sarah :)

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 18:55 »
i could not tell u if she is laying yet i am only around the weekend during the day an i havent noticed her going into the smaller shed , but i have had the odd few eggs that have been darker then the others so maybe she is laying . i worked out shes about 5 months old.

Vember

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 19:45 »
Bless her she could well be then :D

Sarah :)

karlooben

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 20:04 »
thing is with putting her into the smaller house for a while wont that upset things for when they go back into the big house  ?? or should they be alright considering they will all be together during the day .

HENrietta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 20:40 »
AAhh bless her little heart. We are having trouble with our older girls(1yrold)and our little newbies (15weeks old) A farmer told me at the weekend that hens can get quite jealous of each other so make sure what ever you give her you give the others too. otherwise they may bully her even more. I cant believe how nasty these hens came be. Our two originals were little darlings now they have turned into vicious swines.
Oh I totally agree with sarah put a mate in with her, as hens can get lonely and depressed! The other make give her a few pecks but nothing like what she will be going through.

Aaahh hope all goes well for you karlooben.
Live, Love and Laugh!

karlooben

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 20:50 »
thanks henny { hopwe u dont mind that nickname i got 4 on here i think ,lol }  my maran hasnt been the same since her 3 brothers went to a friend of mine .i cant wait tell tomorw night now  :) but it isnt it amzing that a chicken can cause u so much worry

HENrietta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 21:08 »
Tell me about it, i spend all my spare time with my lovely ladies. Its great.  :) Oh i dont mind the nickname either. I think in a couple of days or so you will see a much happier girl. Hope all goes well. :)

shiatsusu

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 22:44 »
Hi Looby- def put a friend in with her. We have a Maran too and I love her to bits so very much hope your girl is feeling happier soon. They really play on your mind don't they? We have one who is bottom of the order and I worry about her when i should be concentrating on other things  :( Sounds like she is laying- ours has just started squatting and I take that as a sign she'll soon be (or is it hope?!)  ;)

xx
Pecking Order

Started by Pertelotte on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 14, 2011, 10:23
by outercircle
xx
Pecking order.

Started by HENrietta on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 23, 2009, 10:05
by shiatsusu
xx
pecking order

Started by brookieme on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 08, 2014, 19:29
by New shoot
xx
Pecking order...

Started by mickwood on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 11, 2008, 15:57
by mickwood

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 33 queries.