Egg Production

• 3 Replies

Beekissed

Egg Production
« on: April 26, 2015, 07:56 »
I've been keeping track of egg counts this spring since the flock came out of winter slow down and the new pullets started to lay.  I only have a small flock right now and two are not laying much, if at all, as one is 7 yrs old~though she still lays about one a week~ and the other is an ex-bat RSL hen that is burned out. So, mainly 7 hens carrying the load right now.

In the past 41 days the flock of 7, sometimes 8,  have laid 259 eggs.  I used to have flocks of 30-50 and sold the excess eggs to recover feed, operation and replacement costs and did this very well, with money to spare.  Nowadays I don't sell eggs but keep the extended family and others supplied, as well as use them for consumption.  It's pretty impressive what a good flock can do in peak laying season.  I had never kept records of collective amounts per calendar days before, though I used to record daily amounts...just never totaled up how many eggs were laid per year.  This year I'm going to try to do that, factoring in any broodies I may get. 

Any of you keep egg counts or do any flock management to increase egg yields?   

themagicaltoad1

Re: Egg Production
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 11:28 »
Bit difficult keeping track of the egg production in our little flock as they are eaten by my son as soon as they are laid. He gets through about 10 a day, (body builder), and if he runs out of shop bought ones, will raid the hen house.

Beekissed

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 01:47 »
Egg count is 306 in the past 50 days, now out of 8 hens(one nonlayer has been culled and one bird is sitting a nest), though I couple of them rarely if ever lay.  I'm pleased with the egg yield this year and will monitor to see how well they produce during the hotter temps of summer and then into winter as well. 

Feed consumption has dropped gradually this past month and will most likely continue to do so as forage rises out on range.  They will lay just as well or better from foraged feeds as they have on formulated feeds, I have found.  Last year I was down to feeding a cup and a half of fermented(read wet) feed for 14 adult birds by September. 

Free ranging really helps with the health of the birds, the cost of keeping them and also the taste and nutritive value of the eggs laid and meat consumed from the flock. 

grinling

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 12:20 »
your foraging birds find lots of protein, whereas over here unless the birds occupy a wooded area they would not get enough, so having feed available helps them with protein levels. Mine do not eat slugs and snails and do not get kitchen waste.
I have known someone who said that as people were giving her hens brassicas, she did not feed them.Her hens fought over every bit of food.

xx
egg production?

Started by pushrod on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post January 12, 2009, 20:28
by pushrod
xx
egg production down

Started by greenockian on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 26, 2012, 16:39
by Prod
xx
Egg Production

Started by parson on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post July 31, 2009, 12:18
by parson
xx
Egg Production

Started by Prod on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 10, 2012, 10:45
by JaK

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 36 queries.