Starbucks Coffee Grounds

• 15 Replies

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
Starbucks Coffee Grounds
« on: March 12, 2008, 23:13 »
Hi

I heard that if you go to your nearest Starbucks you can get bags of coffee grounds that they no longer need to go on your compost heap.  Supposed to be good for it apparently.

I also heard that slugs and snails don't like it too, on Gardener's World a little while back, dehydrates them big time.

Well apparently it is free so if you've a Starbucks nearby go and check it out.

I had thought of just checking out my nearest coffee shops to see if they might do the same.  I don't have a Starbucks anywhere near me.  

Well here is the website if anyone is interested.

Starbucks
Teen

Scribbler

Starbucks Coffee Grounds
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 09:03 »
I'm afraid the vision of hyperactive worms will be with me for the rest of the day!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

mumsy

Starbucks Coffee Grounds
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 16:29 »
This is true, you can get the coffee grounds, only trouble is most of them are smack in the middle of town & the bags are HEAVY :shock:

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
Starbucks Coffee Grounds
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 22:02 »
I like the idea of buzzing worms they may work twice as fast ha ha  :lol:

robbobnbill

Starbucks Coffee Grounds
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 18:55 »
I spoke to a starbucks in Manchester and the manager said their bags are about 0.5Kg (about the weight of a bag of flour) and that you should just be able to walk in off the street and someone will prepare the bags for you as they always have grounds going spare, think ill be going to starbucks on my lunch break next week!!!
"A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones who need the advice"  - Bill Cosby

Charlie

Starbucks Coffee Grounds
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 20:35 »
I am lucky as my step daughter works at our local starbucks, and she bring me a bag full home every week. She says that they are supposed to dispose of it in the drain, as bringing it home is technicaly waste transfer, and you need a permit for that

vespaman

Starbucks Coffee Grounds
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 17:01 »
i have one at my work will talk to them tomorrow :)
p.s what about costa coffee grounds.

Butterfly

Starbucks Coffee Grounds
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 18:33 »
We always pick up a bag or 2 when we go into Starbucks.
My brother has even confessed to getting an extra cup of coffee out of them before they go on the compost heap! :lol:

robbobnbill

Starbucks Coffee Grounds
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 21:54 »
did your brother say it was any good butterfly :) :?:
got 2 bags today so might try my own second-hand brew  :lol:

oddbuthappy

Starbucks Coffee Grounds
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 19:25 »
will the coffee grounds affect any plants if you put it directly on the soil around them to deter slugs :?:

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
Starbucks Coffee Grounds
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 20:53 »
Hi oddbuthappy,

As far as I can tell it makes the ground slightly acidic but I don't think it is enough to harm any plants, and acid lovers will like coffee.

Apparently Expresso grounds are better.  Its the caffeine that is the repellent and some scientists say that the grounds from your own coffee or shops aren't as effective as commercial made high caffeine based repellents.  But I suppose they may say that so they can continue to make money.

Some people say it works others not.  I think you have to be experimental with it.  I am however not one of experience with coffee grounds so what I say may be utter poop!  :lol:

On the gardener's world blog they say that spreading a thin even layer all around rather than a mound works better, and apparently makes your slugs dance in a slightly odd manner.

I'd love to know if anyone here as actually tried coffee grounds and whether they think it works.

peggyprice

Re: Starbucks Coffee Grounds
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 15:28 »
Quote from: "Teen76"
Hi

I heard that if you go to your nearest Starbucks you can get bags of coffee grounds that they no longer need to go on your compost heap.  Supposed to be good for it apparently.

I also heard that slugs and snails don't like it too, on Gardener's World a little while back, dehydrates them big time.

Well apparently it is free so if you've a Starbucks nearby go and check it out.

I had thought of just checking out my nearest coffee shops to see if they might do the same.  I don't have a Starbucks anywhere near me.  

Well here is the website if anyone is interested.

Starbucks

I've just discovered my local Sainsbury's coffee shop doing the same thing; apparently best time to ask is in the afternoon (I was there at 9am and they don't seem to keep them overnight  :( ).
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

potatopotato

Starbucks Coffee Grounds
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 17:38 »
Quote from: "Teen76"
Hi oddbuthappy,

On the gardener's world blog they say that spreading a thin even layer all around rather than a mound works better, and apparently makes your slugs dance in a slightly odd manner.

I'd love to know if anyone here as actually tried coffee grounds and whether they think it works.

I tried it last year for slugs and it didn't work. However I did dig some coffee grounds into the earth when I was replanting my rose bush and the roses seemed to do quite well off it!
So everybody's entitled to opinions, I open up my mouth, and s***, I've got millions! - Lady Sovereign

Rowan

• Experienced Member
Starbucks Coffee Grounds
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 13:09 »
Just find a scientist!!

my OH works in a lab and brings home a large jar of grounds a couple of times a week, the office of 3-4 people get through about 12-14 cups a day..

We just put it on the compost heap, but might well add it to the soil around our lettuce as the slugs are massacring them!!

commerlad

Starbucks Coffee Grounds
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 11:18 »
The speciality coffee stands at various country shows etc also have to get rid of their old grounds so if you are out for the day its worth asking. (got half a black bin liner full at Cromford Steam, and I wasn't the first that had asked!)
Sometimes I think laterally but then I have to get up!

xx
Cheap Starbucks Coffee Offer

Started by robbobnbill on Frugal Living

6 Replies
Last post October 24, 2008, 20:39
by wombling2006
xx
Coffee grounds

Started by Dave NE on Frugal Living

40 Replies
Last post October 20, 2015, 22:10
by Aunt Sally
xx
Waitrose coffee grounds

Started by Mum2mj on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post January 27, 2017, 11:34
by Mum2mj
xx
barter for coffee grinds.

Started by Dreamer@45 on Frugal Living

6 Replies
Last post January 19, 2011, 09:27
by Lindeggs

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 36 queries.