what are these

• 15 Replies

flatcap

• Experienced Member
what are these
« on: July 04, 2007, 19:33 »
any experts here i was asked if i wanted demi johns in a basket [new 1 on me}anyhow iv been given sum of these

does anyone have any clues noticed 1 datedback to 1897

thanks

Ice

• muck spreader
what are these
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 19:51 »
Might be worth a couple of bob on ebay for their decorational value in old pubs etc.  Or find out if the company still exists and would like them.
Cheese makes everything better.

flatcap

• Experienced Member
what are these
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 20:08 »
hi ice hockey mad

done a google nothing comes up for company names ,been searching net ,but not sure what there called just no there to do with wine/beer ,my favourite past time lol

Little Miss Muffet

• calnetalk
what are these
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 20:48 »
i wish i got given some of those.
it could be as simple as servers can you pour the beer whist holding the basket?

flatcap

• Experienced Member
what are these
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 21:13 »
hi little miss muffet,

these jars hold at least 3 gallon of wine so not sure if servers ,but il do a search worth a try .

these jars were rescued out of a skip , relative knew i was desperate for demijohns  :D

seadart

what are these
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 21:33 »
LINK

They are carboys, but look very old so you might have a bit of a job cleaning them.
Life? Don't talk to me about life!!
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s34/smilies-151.png[/img]

flatcap

• Experienced Member
what are these
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 06:48 »
thanks seadart,

these are very old1897, the baskets look like they have had woodworm at some point. the rain we had last night i shud of just left them outside to clean :D

Esme

• http://www.myspace.com/esmewitch
what are these
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 09:17 »
They're rather marvellous is what they are! Nice find.
All mushrooms are edible - some only once.

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
what are these
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 13:06 »
Give em a good clean and find corks big enough to stopper them great for fermentors as someone said they are carboys newone are usually 5 gallon and glass and cost a small fortune if you get em with cages

You is lucky
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

David.

what are these
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 20:08 »
They just look like so much trouble to get clean, keep clean (and that's just the inside), see what's happening inside when siphoning out, and finding an inexpensive solution to providing replacement bungs.

flatcap

• Experienced Member
what are these
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 07:06 »
hi david,

its going to be hard work just getting them clean.the smallest carboy [pic below] has had creosote spilt on it and stinks,but il give it a go as it was a shame to throw them into a skip

David.

what are these
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 11:49 »
Just read a tip in an old wine making book and thought of this post:

Don't use old crocks as they can be lead glazed and the reaction of fruit acids on the lead can cause lead poisoning.

muntjac

what are these
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 12:26 »
take them out of the baskets and then immerse them in hot water with a good 2 cups biological washing powder solution , then leave em for a couple weeks ..they didnt hold wine by the way it was rum they were for mariners rations (  tots ) the baskets that are sound can be washed down with fairy and then allowed to dry in the sun use a soft wallpaper paste brush to get into the canes. when completly dry get a rosnon  :wink: spray can of varnish ( clear )if you want to protect them further . they will sell on ebay if you put them on the ebay USA  as well , they love our old tat  :lol:
still alive /............

flatcap

• Experienced Member
what are these
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 07:17 »
thanks for the tip david ,decided not to use as demijohns been told the smallest 1 could of been used to carry acid :shock:

sell on ebay if you put them on the ebay USA as well , they love our old tat

nice to see you back muntjac ,lol the above advice hubby lived in america 9 years sil still lives there he said its amazing what some of them
would buy :D

muntjac

what are these
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 10:01 »
Quote from: "flatcap"
thanks for the tip david ,decided not to use as demijohns been told the smallest 1 could of been used to carry acid :shock:

sell on ebay if you put them on the ebay USA as well , they love our old tat

nice to see you back muntjac ,lol the above advice hubby lived in america 9 years sil still lives there he said its amazing what some of them
would buy :D

ur welcome matey... n ty

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 36 queries.