after First earlies

• 10 Replies

prakash_mib

after First earlies
« on: February 25, 2010, 10:50 »
I have a very small plot and trying to use it to maximum potential.
will i have still good time to plant sweetcorns on the first earlies' space
even with the idea of potting sweet corns first.
please advice
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

bigben

Re: after First earlies
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 11:54 »
It might be possible, but sweetcorn will need longer than you will have to allow you to sow direct -as you suggest you will need to have the sweetcorn potted up already. As you probably know you need to sow sweetcorn in blocks so it pollinates so will need to have perhaps 16-20 to put out. This is not a problem if you just have them small in paper pots ready to plant out. But you would need them to be in the pots for a bit longer so might need 20 or so larger pots. If you have room for this then you might be ok.

Would you be able to grow your earlies in potatoe bags, pots etc on a path or patio so your plot is free for the sweetcorn. Grow salad crops or other fast growing stuff prior to the corn. I plan to have 15 black poly spud bags down my path with 3 seeds spuds in each. I did it last year on the patio and got a good crop.

prakash_mib

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 12:11 »
The patch I am growing potato was rock solid and never been dug/tendered for more than 7 years (from my neighbours comments) i need to get the soil structure right for growing some vegetables. Hence potatoes. I have got 90 potato seeds and in our house annual consumption of potato will be 60 potatoes. I dont know what i am going to do with the potatoes. I am growing not because I want to but i need to.  :(

And i have become a full member with this post... 50 not out 8)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 12:27 »
You'll probably eat more of your own produce. :tongue2:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

GreenOwl

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 13:27 »
Hi Prakash,

I usually follow my earlies with courgettes and sweetcorn so it can be done.  Yes, start your sweetcorn off in April in pots, pot on and plant out as soon as you dig up the earlies.

You do need to feed the soil, its not an ideal pairing because they're all heavy feeders.  Traditionally leeks follow early potatoes.

Use the spare potatoes to thicken soups - or keep the neighbours sweet by giving them some?

prakash_mib

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 13:40 »
where are you from green anywhere near little stoke allotment?

GreenOwl

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 15:16 »
Sorry nope.  I'm further north, near Thornbury.  I haven't got an allotment yet but cross your fingers there may be news soon.   :)

Are you on the waiting list for Little Stoke, or is that where your plot is? 

prakash_mib

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 15:34 »
I got half a plot. very bad that people who are well past their interest of growing still own 2 plots. one of our allotmenteer has 4 and grows dahlia in one full plot (outrageous)
BTW best of luck to get your plot

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 15:38 »
I used to follow with leeks, but now I grow hundreds of them so they have their own bed. Salad crops now follow on from my earlies, they are quick growing so less of a problem than most. Beetroot, lettuce, radish, whatever really.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

prakash_mib

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 10:06 »
Hmm,
strapped of space. I cant find (visualize) any space for corns. either they should go after FEs or after winter onions.
although trying to grow beans/peas after winter onions.
I am confused . com

GreenOwl

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 13:53 »
Put the sweetcorn in after the FEs and the beans/peas after the winter onions. 

Although overwintering onions usually don't come out until July which is a bit late for beans/peas.  Could do dwarf french beans maybe?

I currently only have a veg plot in the garden so I split it in half and have a two-year rotation:

FE potatoes followed by courgettes, sweetcorn and cucumbers
Peas followed by salad leaves.
I grow beans and tomatoes against the fence

Other than that I have to accept that I can't grow everything I would like to.  I did try growing overwintering onions instead of early potatoes and that worked fine but I decided I could only grow one or the other and I prefered the potatoes.  Onions are generally cheap in the shops.

I have just made a list of all the things I want to grow on an allotment.  Somehow I think I'll have to cut it down.   :D

xx
first earlies, HELP?

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 20, 2007, 23:16
by frazzy
xx
Which earlies

Started by Benny130 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 14, 2015, 23:01
by 3759allen
xx
Earlies

Started by grenhouse on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 20, 2009, 09:49
by mumofstig
xx
1st earlies

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 10, 2012, 18:27
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.376 seconds with 34 queries.