What can i use ??

• 14 Replies

stewart79

What can i use ??
« on: July 12, 2009, 10:53 »
I'm new to home brewing , I've made some nettle beer , which was surprisingly tasty , but what other things could i use , i have loads of spinach in the garden and loads of beetroot leaves/stems left over ,could these be used .
has anyone got any other ideas that have had success with? I'm all up for experimenting with unusual ingredients.

Kate and her Ducks

Re: What can i use ??
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 11:34 »
Well I'm thinking of having a go at peapod wine.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

stewart79

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 11:49 »
sounds interesting , do you think you could use anything for brewing?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 11:55 by stewart79 »

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 14:38 »
Not a clue as really only just getting started. I suspect that you can use anything orgnic really from fruit to grains toveg to weeds! Best avoid anything known to be poisonous. :tongue2:

SG6

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 16:51 »
I assume that you are looking at wines that are not made from fruit and possibly which you can pick from hedgerows etc.

There is a barley wine,  bramble tip wine, clover wine, dandelion wine, hawthorn berry wine, oak leaf wine, peapod wine, rosehip wine, sloe wine, wheat wine.

Several flower wines: cowslip, marigold, rose petal and ohers.

ciderman

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 21:20 »
hi stewart theres not alot that wont make wine  pea pod is a good wine i make all my wine in the 21 day recipe  that i got from my dad some are good in 21 days some need more .we only use 3 ingrediants   if u want a recipe pm me if u like cider i make alot of the good stuff from 30 day cider 2/ 2 year cider   still dont no if its worth the wait ok cider man

stewart79

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 08:39 »
Thanks for the info , i was thinking more along the line of beer making.
is it difficult to make wine , i suppose there is alot more equipment needed?

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 17:25 »
sounds interesting , do you think you could use anything for brewing?

yes, pretty much anything, as long as you can ensure that the yeast has what it needs to ferment the mix. I once made some wine using lapsang souchon tealeaves, just to see if I could. It made a lovely looking wine with 13% alcohol but it tasted revolting! A good book for wine ideas is CJJ Berry's winemaking for begginers. The recipes are clear and they work! he also explains the science behind wine making in a way that even I can understand - very important if you are experimenting!
Have fun!
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 09:34 »
I have just made a beetroot and carrot wine. I have made it before and it was lovely!  I got the recipe out of a book called Amatuer Winemaker Recipes by the good old CJJ Berry. You need 2lb beetroot, 2lb carrots, 1lb figs or raisins or sultanas, dates etc, 1lb fresh bananas, inc skins. 3lb sugar 1level tsp citric acid, or juice 3 lemons, 1/2 pint strong tea, water to make up 1 gallon yeast nutrient and wine yeast.
 scrub carrots and chop cook in 3 and a half pints water. scrub and slice thinly beetroot cook in 3and a half pints water. Place chopped fruits and sugar into the initial fermentation bucket ans strain the liquids into this stirring to dissolve the sugar. When cool add citric acid strong tea and yeast nutrient. Add the activated yeast and ferment on the pulp for 7 days stirring daily and keeping closely covered. Then strain into dj fit airlock and leave to ferment racking as required. I hope I haven't broken any publishing laws by doing this! Good luck

poultrygeist

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 14:28 »
If anyone has tried ground elder with success, I'd be a happy man. :D

Might go into industrial-sized production. ::)

Some of the flower petal wines are meant to be good but you need a lot apparently. I've got a book with some recipes in or there's a lot on the internet. Google and ye shall find. :)

Rob 8)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 17:23 »
Rob, I know it's not wine but have found a ground elder soup if you are interested. Will post it on the cooking section  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

poultrygeist

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 19:49 »
Cheers Joy. :D

I know the Romans introduced it as a pot herb so I guess it must have some culinary value. :)

When I'm a bit more experienced, I might try it for wine or beer. It smells quite strong when ripped out of the ground with the bare hand in a frenzied manner. :wub:

Rob

joyfull

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 19:52 »
wouldn't know about that Rob as I don't have any - and before you ask no I don't want any thanks  :lol:

poultrygeist

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 19:56 »
 :D

If I concoct a fine recipe, you'll be sorry  :D

Rob 8)

joyfull

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 20:16 »
bet i wont  :lol:

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 33 queries.