Rhubarb Wine - Fermentation Stages ?

• 5 Replies

punkrokka

Rhubarb Wine - Fermentation Stages ?
« on: June 28, 2009, 11:46 »
I've had Rhubarb Wine fermenting in demi Johns for about two weeks now....the first week was very fast bubbling but now it's slowed to just occasional ones...The contents are starting to clear and the sediment is settling at the bottom.

I can't find anything that clearly outlines fermentation timing so I'm not sure if this is normal at this point?

Any help on what I need to do now and when to think about racking would be really useful?

pushrod

Re: Rhubarb Wine - Fermentation Stages ?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 23:15 »
Hi - you are probs more experienced than me , but when i made some red wine from grape juice concentrate it took about about 18/20 days to finish fermenting, but then the temp was cooler a couple of months ago. just started drinking it and now regretting using quite so many chemicals to stop the fermenting and promote clearing as there is a bit of a "taste" to it. Be interested to know if it is a success as i have a lot of rhubarb in the garden lol.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

punkrokka

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 09:03 »
Thanks.....This is the first batch for me so definately need a bit of guidance.

I read that Rhubarb Wine needs six months before it's drinkable and will then keep for two years but I'm not sure if the bubbling should have stopped yet and if so should racking be my next step?

Stoatus

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 22:33 »
If you have a hydrometer take a small sample and test the gravity. If it's a dry wine you are making it should be <1000, if medium 1000-1010, if sweet 1020. Alternatively just taste it and see how sweet it is. I am not very experienced but have made three batches of wine, all of which have ceased bubbling after 3 weeks, so it's probably fine. So long as the sweetness/gravity is about right just leave it in the demijohn to clear (2-3 months).

If fermentation has stuck you can restart it with a yeast, sugar, orange juice mixture, to which you add the stuck wine a bit at a time.
Organic

hindy

• Experienced Member
    • Hayden Road Allotmenteers
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 23:46 »
If its been fermenting for 14 days I would say its now finished. I made a batch of rhubarb recently and only took 10 days.
Like Stoatus says use a hydrometer to test the sg. I think you will find its <1000 so you might have to sweeten to your taste.
If it has finished it would pay to rack off into a clean demijohn to let it clear without sitting on the sediment.
Andy
Founder of Hayden Road Allotmenteers

punkrokka

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 08:57 »
Thanks all......will test as advised.

Was also told to leave until air lock water settles/moves to right hand bottleside and then rack, at the moment mine are still moving between the two.

xx
Rhubarb wine

Started by bazh on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post August 19, 2012, 20:43
by plot107
xx
Rhubarb Wine

Started by Cazzy on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 12:16
by SarahB
xx
Rhubarb wine...again!

Started by Auntiemogs on Homebrew

7 Replies
Last post October 20, 2014, 20:09
by Kevin67
xx
rhubarb wine

Started by jackiestagg on Homebrew

12 Replies
Last post May 01, 2011, 12:06
by charlwooduk

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 32 queries.