Wine will not start

• 12 Replies

Flyin Chickens

Wine will not start
« on: April 01, 2009, 09:47 »
I have made the following wine>
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=5559.15 post 18 8)

However I am not getting much bubble action (about 1 bubble every 1-2 minutes). >:(

I did in error forget to add the sugar :ohmy: (I know but thats what happens when you dont read things properly) but added it 24 hours after I started the mix.

I have given the mix a number of rotations to help the sugar mix in and the majority has now.

Any ideas on what I can do to help things along? :wacko:

Thanks

Ian

hindy

• Experienced Member
    • Hayden Road Allotmenteers
Re: Wine will not start
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 10:37 »
 :ohmy:  The sugar is the most important part.
I would add a touch more yeast that should get it going.
Andy
Founder of Hayden Road Allotmenteers

Flyin Chickens

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 11:16 »
Sugar......I know....doh.

The juice does have a lot of sugar in though (high juice 50% etc)

Will add a bit more yeast and see how it goes.

I do have some very small bubbles rising but not like any other kit ones that I have done before

Ropster

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 13:11 »
if its bubbling it will speed up eventualy as the yeast mutiply's
was the yeast old as that can sometimes give a slow start ?

SG6

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 19:27 »
If it is bubbling then it is going, it may just need a bit more time for the yeast to multiply and get up to speed. Also what temperature is it as the temperature will effect the rate.

Flyin Chickens

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 22:35 »
Temp is around 22c

The yeast was new to me (from wilkinsons).

I have added a 2nd amount of yeast (is that bad??) and it is going a little faster now.

Will watch it over the coming days

SG6

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 18:45 »
Personally I would have just settled for a slow ferment. ::)
After all it is normally a year until it can be drunk so if the fermentation takes a week or two extra it really is no difference.

Flyin Chickens

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 10:40 »
This wine has been going since the 31st of March when I had a read of 1122 on the hydrometer.

I have read it again today and it is still at 1122.

It has been constantly bubbling for the past 3 weeks.

How long should it take to reach a lower reading?

David.

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 22:02 »
I have made the following wine>
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=5559.15 post 18)

Which wine? - the one I do using Morrisons Summerfuits and  Rocks Organic Blackcurrant  etc., perhaps this will give you an idea just how much I make:

If that's the one it should be almost fermented in in 3 weeks. I'm putting another 6 gall. batch on next week.

Fist check should be what your hydrometer reads in plain water.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 22:04 by David. »

Flyin Chickens

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 13:22 »
The Hydrometer reads 1 when sat in water (I have 2 and both give the same read)

I was making the one that you talk about with some slight changes (well quite a few)

(2 cartons of Ocean spray cranberry and blueberry, 1 ltr of blackcurrant high juice, 1 ltr of summer fruits high juice, 2/3 of a bottle of Oasis (full sugar) 333g Sugar and all the others required.)

The only other thing that I can think of is that it is not warm enough (dam combi boiler means no warm cupboard)

Any ideas?

David.

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 14:49 »
The Hydrometer reads 1 when sat in water (I have 2 and both give the same read)

I was making the one that you talk about with some slight changes (well quite a few)

(2 cartons of Ocean spray cranberry and blueberry, 1 ltr of blackcurrant high juice, 1 ltr of summer fruits high juice, 2/3 of a bottle of Oasis (full sugar) 333g Sugar and all the others required.)

The only other thing that I can think of is that it is not warm enough (dam combi boiler means no warm cupboard)

Any ideas?

Start again, because:

1) 2 x  Cranberry & Blueberry possibly does not contain as much flavouring as you'd get from 1 x Cranberry & 0.67 litres Blueberry (but point (3) below is more important).

2) You have overdosed on sugar as carton juice contains around 110g/litre (except grape juice) and high juice approx. 495g/litre, meaning you have over 1.5Kg of sugar in your wine excluding the Oasis (whatever that is), when I aim for 1Kg/gall.

3) Summerfruits High Juice (the concentrate rather than the chilled ready to drink stuff from Morrisons) does not make good wine and will impart a harsh unpleasant flavour that will not go after years after maturing.

My recipe specifically excluded using anything containing preservatives, thus avoiding any chance of the fermentation being hindered, but assuming you use the boil method to drive them off first, my best guess what's happened is:

The sugary high may have sunk to the bottom and the sample tested was taken from the top. The amount of sugar (any any residual preservative?) has hindered fermentation. When  fermentation has eventually started in the upper level, any sugar fermented has been replaced from the syrup in the bottom - so you get bubbles but not drop in S.G. from a subsequent test.

Stick to the recipe and it will have finshed in around a month and be clear and ready for a taste(s) in two.

SG6

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 20:07 »
Just leave it to ferment and see what comes out. :D :D
Seems like you started this thread saying it wouldn't start, now it is "It hasn't stopped".
And all in about 3 weeks.
Have patience. >:( >:( >:(

If you need to have it warmer to speed up fermentation then try a heat belt or a heated base. You can get them from a wine making/brewing shop or via the internet. Personally I wouldn't bother. Will say that I do have a base that takes 2 demijohns if required. MAy go dig it out one day. Although if you do have too much sugar it might give a bit more life to the yeast to munch its way through it.

I had one wine that simply kept fermenting, blackberry if I recall. I would check for activity by adding a little sugar and it just kept bursting into life. Eventually visited a wine making shop, St Albans, and they had no real idea. About 6-7 months after it started it finished. Left it to mature for 18 months and it came out pretty good, but it was strong. No idea why it took so long as I used a wine yeast from a standard tin and had used it previously.

Seems no point in throwing it as in reality it is doing what you want, fermenting and producing a wine. How it comes out you will have to wait and see. :wub: :wub: :wub:

Flyin Chickens

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 21:16 »
I think that I will try to leave this one to run and start a 2nd one using the correct recipy.

I boiled the whole mix for 10 minutes at the very start of the mix to get rid of any bad guys.

Oasis.......
http://www.cokecorporateresponsibility.co.uk/_includes/images/3_1_1_1_Oasis_Light.jpg

Thanks for all the help and I will let you all know

xx
How can i make my wine sweeter - and I need half size bottles for wine.

Started by composthappens on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post July 31, 2013, 23:39
by Jackypam
xx
old wine

Started by big green bloke on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post August 27, 2007, 12:46
by David.
xx
wine?

Started by asd1 on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post February 06, 2011, 21:03
by Silkworm
xx
Fig wine

Started by sloworm on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post August 28, 2010, 19:50
by sloworm

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 33 queries.