dam weeds r killing me

• 33 Replies

Trillium

dam weeds r killing me
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2008, 19:02 »
Quote from: "Teen76"
What do you guys do with the roots when you've dug them up?  I've heard that even burning them doesn't complete kill them.  I've a lot on my plot and wondered what can do with it all.

If you've got a bin with a good hot fire going, you can burn the weeds.
I usually leave them on a hard surface (pathway, etc) and let the sun dry and kill them.
More economically, you dump the roots only (shaken free of dirt) into a large bucket of water to let them rot completely. Have a layer of used vegetable oil on top to keep down the smell. When most has rotted, use the strained liquid to water your plants. Weeds tend to go deeper and draw out more nutrients than veg plants do.  See Bob Flowerdew's No Work Garden, pg 47.
I highly recommend all of Bob's books for organic methods, pest recognition, recycling methods, etc.

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
dam weeds r killing me
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2008, 19:51 »
Thanks for that Trillium.  I am still a learner and think I always will be.
Teen

noshed

dam weeds r killing me
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2008, 21:49 »
So are we all mate
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

shaun

dam weeds r killing me
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2008, 07:08 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
 See Bob Flowerdew's No Work Garden, pg 47.
I highly recommend all of Bob's books for organic methods, pest recognition, recycling methods, etc.

trill is there a chapter on pony tails ? :wink:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Trillium

dam weeds r killing me
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2008, 13:23 »
His is actually a braid, which I wish to heaven he'd lose! And if there was a chapter on that (long hair), I'd skip over it.

Stripey_cat

dam weeds r killing me
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2008, 21:34 »
I keep them in a bin until I've had a barbecue, and then chuck them on the coals once I'm done cooking.  All the ashes them go in the compost or as a dressing on the beds.

tallulah

dam weeds r killing me
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2008, 13:31 »
Quote from: "diddy dave"
thanks im going 2 try not 2 use weed killer call me modern lol....... i thought of salt i know first hand it kills weeds BUT BUT BUT it kills everything else..
they r white yes and do brake verry easy one of the old chaps said even a little bit left in will start 2 grow again :(   he then said if i do as much as i can then this year plant my taters there then they should grow....... any more ideas would be great thanks.......  :)

I have a plot that has been absolutely ridden with couch grass.  I cleared quite a bit last year - firstly I tried Roundup - I hated using it, and it was more or less ineffective - I think I made it too dilute.  Secondly, on a different patch, I just started to dig.  Very small areas at a time, and regularly changing activity to put less stress on my back.  Eg, I would dig 1 foot square, turning it with fork and getting big clumps out.  Then I would grab a cushion, sit down comfortably, and go through the soil with a handfork, taking out the small bits of root.  Very very satisfying, and actually not all that time consuming.  With the radio beside you, and a flask, you'll get that square foot done in no time, and can start to dig the next bit.  I think its really important not to dig for more than a few minutes at a time - back problems are cumulative, and one day, you just won't be able to get out of bed!  Good luck tho, and agree with you about the no chemicals bit - I still regret using roundup.

SkipRat

Re: weed probs
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2008, 19:18 »
Quote from: "peterjf"
ROUND UP EVERY TIME , LET THEM RE GROUP AFTER YOU HAVE GIVEN THEM 1 DOSE OF ROUND UP , SAY ABOUT 4-5 WEEKS , THEN HIT THE LITTLE * AGAIN

I fully agree, My plot was rife with bindweed and I did exactly as the gentleman above stated and it all went away after the third dose. Magic. :lol:  :lol:  Where abouts in Hull are you Peter? I,m on the Gypsyville allotment site.
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

gardenplot

dam weeds r killing me
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2008, 19:38 »
Quote from: "tallulah"
thanks im going 2 try not 2 use weed killer call me modern lol....... i thought of salt i know first hand it kills weeds BUT BUT BUT it kills everything else..
they r white yes and do brake verry easy one of the old chaps said even a little bit left in will start 2 grow again :(   he then said if i do as much as i can then this year plant my taters there then they should grow....... any more ideas would be great thanks.......  :)

I have a plot that has been absolutely ridden with couch grass.  I cleared quite a bit last year - firstly I tried Roundup - I hated using it, and it was more or less ineffective - I think I made it too dilute.  Secondly, on a different patch, I just started to dig.  Very small areas at a time, and regularly changing activity to put less stress on my back.  Eg, I would dig 1 foot square, turning it with fork and getting big clumps out.  Then I would grab a cushion, sit down comfortably, and go through the soil with a handfork, taking out the small bits of root.  Very very satisfying, and actually not all that time consuming.  With the radio beside you, and a flask, you'll get that square foot done in no time, and can start to dig the next bit.  I think its really important not to dig for more than a few minutes at a time - back problems are cumulative, and one day, you just won't be able to get out of bed!  Good luck tho, and agree with you about the no chemicals bit - I still regret using roundup.

I have cut mine as low down as i could and covered it, hoping the grass & weeds die back and dig out easy when i start digging  :roll: gonna leave it till may
Don’t fancy using chemicals & weed killer where I’m going to plant veg for eating.
Will take your tip on board when i start to dig a foot at a time

diddy dave

dam weeds r killing me
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2008, 08:54 »
its been some weeks now but ive got rid of it all i dug down 3 ft put all the soil in one big pile got 3 crates of beer got a load of mates up the lotti and whent through all the soil by hand i filled one of those big sand bags 1 tun all worth it and no weed killer and most things have been planted  :D  :lol:   thanks all for the advice... :)

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
dam weeds r killing me
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2008, 18:07 »
oooops double posted  :oops:

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
dam weeds r killing me
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2008, 18:08 »
Great news dave! Well done on clearing it without using the chemical approach  :D

jimroden

• Experienced Member
dam weeds r killing me
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2008, 20:36 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
There's no easy way Dave.  

It sounds like couch grass roots or something equally nasty.  You can just work slowly away at it a bit at a time, removing the roots as you go.  When the bits you've not got to start actively growing you can knock it down with glyphosate if you don't mind using weed killer.  That will give you more time to get the digging done.

The more roots you can get out the better  :D

yea it does sound like couch grass root's  i have fetched tuns out of my plot. you need to burn it as well i made the mistake of trying to compost it and it took blooming root  :shock:  :shock:

Jim
Dont tell lies you get in trouble

dugless

dam weeds r killing me
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2008, 21:36 »
Quote from: "tallulah"

Why? round up is inactive when it hits the ground it only works on the living plant when it is in vigerouse groath.
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
dam weeds r killing me
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2008, 19:10 »
I understood from a college course that glyphosate (the main ingredient in roundup) stay within the ground for several years.  I am happy to be corrected on this.

There is a new biodegradable weedkiller called Resolva (which strangely enough contains glyphosate I believe :roll:).  I don't know how good it is and house environmentally friendly it is, would like to know anyones views on it.

xx
killing weeds on paths/driveways

Started by Deano27 on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 06, 2010, 19:21
by Slowgrind
xx
Killing a forsythia

Started by aqua on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 15, 2011, 15:18
by aqua
xx
Killing brambles

Started by AlaninCarlisle on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post July 20, 2017, 23:12
by Yorkie
xx
Killing grass(on purpose)

Started by mrswashi on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2014, 11:34
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 32 queries.