There's jobs to be done!

• 20 Replies

wighty

Re: There's jobs to be done!
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2023, 16:51 »
Can you explain 'bottoming' to me an out and out southerner.  I've always been taught to start at the top so the 'dirt' goes downwards and you finally hoover to 'pick up' the dirt etc.  Perhaps that's where it comes from, when you've done the bottom bit, ie the hoovering, you've down the bottom.

snowdrops

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2023, 19:50 »
Can you explain 'bottoming' to me an out and out southerner.  I've always been taught to start at the top so the 'dirt' goes downwards and you finally hoover to 'pick up' the dirt etc.  Perhaps that's where it comes from, when you've done the bottom bit, ie the hoovering, you've down the bottom.

To me it means giving everywhere in the house a very thorough clean. Yes I also start at the top and work my way down, if I’m dusting or wiping the walls etc I do those first & let the dust settle before I go back & vacuum. We used to have a loft conversion & the bedroom had dark mahogany furniture in it & mirrored wardrobes & they really taught me how to clean very thoroughly as the warm air through the house used to take all the dust up to the conversion  :wacko:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Goosegirl

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2023, 08:41 »
Snowdrops, you're right about using sand in a mould casting as I've seen it done on telly, and also about bottoming, i.e. getting to the bottom of things, and you do start at the top of whatever and work downwards. When you eventually end up on the floor you know you've had enough for the day!  :lol:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2023, 18:25 »
A curious word my Mam used to use was "Fratch", meaning to search (in drawers, cupboards etc.)

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2023, 18:29 »
Even though the dictionary says Fratch - "A dispute, a quarrel; a fight or brawl".
Cheers,  Tony. :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2023, 08:46 »
It probably would be like that if a) the contents were all tangled up together, b) Oi, that's mine and look at the state of it now and/ or c) Who let the mice in, squeak squeak!  :tongue2:

xx
What are your least favourite household jobs?

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post May 08, 2024, 20:51
by Yorkie
xx
Reverse spring cleaning and other winter jobs

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

12 Replies
Last post November 07, 2023, 16:00
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 38 queries.