Carpet Moth

• 5 Replies

Elaine G

Carpet Moth
« on: January 22, 2023, 11:21 »
So after hoovering up white bits a few times from the carpet, I decided to do an internet search and it appears we have carpet moth  :(

I have bought a spray from Screwfix. It has instructions for how to use, but not when.
If seams there are 2 'seasons' for carpet moth.

My questions really are do I spray now or wait till the spring?
This is important as I will have to empty and move 2 heavy pieces of furniture to spray.

Do you know any better solutions? Online help seems to be limited to professional companies trying to sell themselves.

At the moment it seems to be confined to the same (outside) wall of the living room and dining room, but I appreciate I have to act now before the carpet is damaged.
Annoyingly it is one of our newer ones!!

Any assistance gratefully received.
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

Lardman

Re: Carpet Moth
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 12:05 »
The carpets here were full of them when I bought the place - I could never get rid and ended up ripping all the carpets and underlay out they were in and leaving everything clear for a few months of cleaning. Even now I still find the odd casing in the hall or halfway up the back room wall.  :mad: 

Elaine G

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 14:13 »
Oh dear!
Sorry for you Lardman, I am hoping it doesn't come to that.

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 15:33 »
First time I'd seen them had now clue what they were, when I moved some furniture that had been left it looked like someone had spilt some rice.

You wan to nuke the larvae stage with chemicals so once it's warmed up (if you're house is as cold as mine) you'll effectively need to be treating any infected areas for a couple of life cycles.  Assuming egg to larvae can take 2-3 months I'd say 3 applications at 10 weeks apart (if the retail chemicals are any good) should see them off.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2023, 15:54 »
Oh, I deeply sympathise with you. At our previous home we had wool carpets that, during a somewhat seasonal but prolific outbreak of carpet moth, I suddenly found some bald patches appearing especially under the legs of furniture. Hmmm! After our three cats denied any responsibility, and finding those aforementioned bits of "rice" in the vicinity, we used moth sprays and also used the stuff you put in your wardrobe.  >:(
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2023, 16:13 »
I have been considering changing my sitting room carpet.  Two different shops both said is it a 20/80 mix.
To which I replied Yes.  They both said, forget wool, unless you are prepared for carpet moth !   Hope the sprays work for you.    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

xx
80/20 wool or polypropoline Carpet

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post February 12, 2021, 15:52
by grinling
xx
Electric carpet cleaner recommendations

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post December 06, 2017, 17:24
by jaydig
clip
Moth visitor

Started by Elaine G on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post August 06, 2018, 12:49
by Goosegirl
xx
Elephant Hawk Moth Caterpillars

Started by jaydig on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post September 27, 2019, 19:46
by jaydig

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 41 queries.