80/20 wool or polypropoline Carpet

• 2 Replies

mrs bouquet

80/20 wool or polypropoline Carpet
« on: February 11, 2021, 20:06 »
In my sitting room, the wool one has to be replaced.   Too many stains, and although it has been cleaned several times, and the stains vanish,  they do re-appear.    My carpet man has suggested polypropoline.
There is only me, generally, no pets now.   Two home-owners I know have had terrible trouble with moth. One has had it sprayed, but the company cannot guarantee moths will not return.  Also the damaged is still there.

My kitchen has to be re-floored.    2/3rds in wood with ply over, the other 1/3rd is concrete which has screed and floor leveller.    It is laid to Vinyl.   Not an easy job due to kitchen shape and there is a lot of waste.
When this vinyl is lifted it has to be scraped off the leveller and then re-levelled.  Vinyl, is softer and not so echoey, but also can damage with scratches, things dropped and stool marks etc.    My man suggests vinyl planks, not so much waste, and very durable.   But I am worried about echo and cold feet.

Do you have any experience in either of these, if so your help will be much appreciated.   Thanks,  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

snowdrops

Re: 80/20 wool or polypropoline Carpet
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 09:57 »
As to carpet I really can’t say except I usually go for the wool mix, but I suppose it comes down to price & how long either is likely to last. Our son made a valid comment when we were looking to replace our dishwasher & were looking at Miele, he said yes it might last 20+ years but do you really think you’ll want something with that age of technology in 20 years time? I know there’s not technology in question here, but do you want a carpet for 20/30 years? As for the kitchen, we’ve got Karndean plank type stuff, I hunk it’s a type of vinyl, very serviceable, not so cold underfoot even without slippers, more so in the summer obviously, you do have to apply a sealer every 6 months or so in areas of heavy use, well supposed to but in fairness I’ve only done ours 3 or 4 times in 15 years & it’s still looking ok.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

grinling

Re: 80/20 wool or polypropoline Carpet
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 15:52 »
https://www.housebeautiful.com/uk/decorate/floors/news/a3358/wool-polypropylene-carpet-benefits/

We had a wilton carpet as it was the only company doing a 5m width at the time. Tenants have now put in a cheaper one but in a colour they like.
A good underlay will keep any carpet going well. Have a look online, then you will be prepared when you can see it in a store.
Kitchen vinyl planks are very good and an underlay will help with coldness. If doing the whole floor, then the whole floor needs to be at the same level, but vinyl adhesive can be scrapped off the concrete.

xx
Carpet Moth

Started by Elaine G on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post January 23, 2023, 16:13
by mrs bouquet
xx
Electric carpet cleaner recommendations

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post December 06, 2017, 17:24
by jaydig

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 38 queries.