anyone planted their earlies yet ?

• 59 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: anyone planted their earlies yet ?
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2018, 15:51 »
The advice I got at potato day was to plant earlies and mains all together but it seems other people plant earlies first- what opinions do people have on this?

"Earlies" refers to the cropping period, not the planting time. I plant all mine at the same time, if physically possible, or a least over a couple of adjacent days.

There is a school of thought that says you should plant maincrop first as these take longer to mature.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mandycharlie

• Experienced Member
    • Blossom and Sunshine
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2018, 06:11 »
Planted my spuds yesterday, 7 international kidney and 7 charlottes. Working on the premise that it is going to be warm rain all day today and then it’s going to warm up, apparently!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2018, 06:31 »
I was otherwise engaged yesterday and with 9mm of rain already this morning, I guess they're just going to have to wait.

Silva

« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2018, 09:37 »
The advice I got at potato day was to plant earlies and mains all together but it seems other people plant earlies first- what opinions do people have on this?

"Earlies" refers to the cropping period, not the planting time. I plant all mine at the same time, if physically possible, or a least over a couple of adjacent days.

There is a school of thought that says you should plant maincrop first as these take longer to mature.

I had thought this was the case but evidently got myself confused, thanks!

al78

« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2018, 14:15 »

I haven't planted my mains yet, as I didn't have time to plant all my potatoes before the Easter weekend. In my (limited) experience, there is a case for planting the mains out a couple of weeks later, as in previous years, I have planted everything out on the same weekend. What happens is that the first earlies are ready, I gradually get through them, the second earlies are ready, and I start going through those, but then the main crops are ready in the first half of August, when I still have a load of second earlies to harvest and eat, then the late mains are ready at the end of August. I end up having to store four bags of potatoes at the beginning of autumn, and a lot get thrown away because I can't eat them all over winter before they produce huge sprouts. If the mains were ready in late September or October it would space things out better.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2018, 14:53 »
I haven't planted my mains yet, as I didn't have time to plant all my potatoes before the Easter weekend. In my (limited) experience, there is a case for planting the mains out a couple of weeks later, as in previous years, I have planted everything out on the same weekend. What happens is that the first earlies are ready, I gradually get through them, the second earlies are ready, and I start going through those, but then the main crops are ready in the first half of August, when I still have a load of second earlies to harvest and eat, then the late mains are ready at the end of August. I end up having to store four bags of potatoes at the beginning of autumn, and a lot get thrown away because I can't eat them all over winter before they produce huge sprouts. If the mains were ready in late September or October it would space things out better.

And the later you leave it, the greater the risk of getting blight.

victoria park

« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2018, 19:06 »
Al, I'm one of those that thinks maincrops should go in maybe even before earlies in a bad Spring, given their long maturity cycle.
Some years the weather just doesn't play ball at all with some crops, particularly potatoes. In such years, I think it's just a case of getting a crop at all, not worrying about whether they all come to fruition and I have too many to store at the wrong time LOL
I've planted most of my potatoes already, expect them all to come up but am aware some might not with the inclement Spring. Charlottes are a good potato to use in such cusp years I think where  they can act as an early, but also go longer term as a sort of main crop that will store, blight permitting a full term happy life. So, I've purchased an extra 3 kg of charlottes to put in when the ground is more suited, to cover eventualities as best I can. In the end, if I have a lot of potatoes all at the same time, I can always cut and freeze, even blanche beforehand. Not perfect, but it's an awful year.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 19:18 by victoria park »

al78

« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2018, 11:26 »

And the later you leave it, the greater the risk of getting blight.

True, but I will have to take my chance, hope that summer is a lot drier than spring has been so far. I always keep a lookout for signs of blight on potato foliage and cut it down if I see it, hopefully that will keep it off the tubers. I will plant the mains this coming weekend.

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2018, 15:05 »
Planted my earlies about a week ago and covered them with a cloche to keep the heavy rain off and hopefully gain a bit of warmth. Haven't even turned over the green manure and soil where the main crop is going due to bad weather. I'm hoping that I can later this week, but they will be late going in. However my main crop has always matured ready for lifting by end of July, so a bit later will not be a problem.

chillimummy

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2018, 21:58 »
Planted my earlies today and will get my main crop in next week weather permitting!
Had already dug over area few weeks ago and covered after planting with rabbit poo and straw so hoping this will help if more frost.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2018, 23:04 »
My Arran Pilot have just gone in.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2018, 23:11 »
All gone in today, charlottes and desiree.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

afcb

« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2018, 18:05 »
Earlies are in, trying Jazzy for the first time plus 4 other varieties, mains going in on Sunday, King Edward and Cara.

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2018, 12:56 »
I am planning on planting mine this weekend now that things are warming up a bit more - have red duke of york and pentland javelin seed potatoes and the beds are ready.

It has really take a while to start feeling like spring here, was 7 degrees C at 9 o'clock this morning, incredbibly dull and raining! I was hoping to complete some more digging over this afternoon but the ground may be too  wet.

victoria park

« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2018, 17:27 »
A volunteer Charlotte from last year popped it's head up out of the soil today, so clearly the ground is dry enough and warm enough. Glad I trusted the early planting mantra and planted outside 3 weeks ago, albeit a week later than I would have wished. Not an easy start to the year for potatoes and onions, but it's all looking set fair now.
I am so looking forward to my new polytunnel at the end of the year, where I can grow a larger crop of proper early potatoes...... have only 5 Sharpes express plants in my greenhouse, all well on the way to maturity.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 17:40 by victoria park »

xx
Why are maincrop potatoes planted later than first earlies?

Started by OakR on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 16, 2020, 12:38
by OakR
xx
First earlies

Started by Handy Andi on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 26, 2014, 20:33
by Nikkithefoot
xx
Earlies

Started by grenhouse on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 20, 2009, 09:49
by mumofstig
xx
Following on from 1st earlies

Started by safetrade on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 14, 2012, 10:21
by safetrade

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 51 queries.