anyone planted their earlies yet ?

• 59 Replies

jcbuz1970

Re: anyone planted their earlies yet ?
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2018, 14:15 »
Tenhens

jcbuz1970 how much have you been paying?

What I have so far I have been given, it's the rubber type buckets that plasters use but they are £7 each.
Might try a car boot this weekend if I get a chance.
I think Wilko (other supermarkets are available) has grow bags that'll be cheap but not sure of the size or quality.

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2018, 14:50 »
Wilkos are £1.25 each in a pack of two, not the most robust so unable to give feedback as this will be the first time I've used them. Also bought some via Amazon from north of the border , can't recall how much but they are more sturdy. Both types are 40 litre if memory serves.  They do require plenty of water.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

jaydig

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2018, 15:01 »
I planted two rows of Lady Cristl yesterday.  I would hope that by the time they are up the worst of the frosts will be over.

You need ALL of the frosts to be over by the time they come up!  ;)

Have plastic sheeting - will cover! ;)

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2018, 15:14 »
The old boys on our allotments were out in force planting their potatoes yesterday.

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2018, 15:26 »
Wilkos are £1.25 each in a pack of two, not the most robust so unable to give feedback as this will be the first time I've used them. Also bought some via Amazon from north of the border , can't recall how much but they are more sturdy. Both types are 40 litre if memory serves.  They do require plenty of water.

10 bags for £18.99 on amazon, 45 litres capacity (also from JBA seed potato people in Scotland). I also ordered some more of these recently. They are very good, very strong handles etc (nothing worse than lifting a full bag to move it only for the handle to break, spilling the lot on the floor in the process). I have been using this type for years, gradually replacing the cheapo wilko type bags I used to use. I wash them out with jeyes solution every year. I think the extra cost is well worth it.
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain" Homer J Simpson

Tenhens

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2018, 19:30 »

10 bags for £18.99 on amazon, 45 litres capacity (also from JBA seed potato people in Scotland). I also ordered some more of these recently. They are very good, very strong handles etc (nothing worse than lifting a full bag to move it only for the handle to break, spilling the lot on the floor in the process). I have been using this type for years, gradually replacing the cheapo wilko type bags I used to use. I wash them out with jeyes solution every year. I think the extra cost is well worth it.

Have just looked these up , ordered some last year and paid £5.95 postage :( :( :(   appears they are now post free!

jcbuz1970

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2018, 11:01 »
Cheers Tenhens, just found them on Amazon and they look exactly the type I could use.
Saved me a small fortune  ;)

Tenhens

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2018, 11:46 »
Glad to help.
There is a very useful post on these pages about growing in bags , should come up via the search , written by Lettuce , from what I recall.

Have just been to a local grass recreation area , very soggy under foot , not very warm either which made me think 'hang on with outdoor planting'.

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2018, 19:07 »
Planted all my spuds - 1st, seconds, mains.  1sts went in between snows, rest after last snow.  Both on warm days!
1sts in a raised bed at the top of a hill - opposite of a frost pocket I hope, double fleeced.
2nds in a builders bag full of topsoil, covered with a tarp also top of hill
mains also double fleeced.
I had a scratch at the 1st's and there's some two inch shoots.

I have a lot of topsoil spare for earthing up when needed so fingers crossed....

al78

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2018, 10:00 »
1st and 2nd earlies were planted last weekend. The early and late mains will be planted the weekend after Easter when I am back from a family visit.

Potterer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2018, 13:56 »
Re planting main crop - I always use Sarpo potatoes to beat blight anyway- it’s been very successful for me.

Might be worth investing if we want a main crop.....

AnneB

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2018, 08:33 »
My spuds remain chitting in the spare bedroom.  The ground is completely waterlogged and impossible to dig in and more snow is forecast for tomorrow.

Fingers crossed I will set the bags off in the polytunnel on Wednesday, but will need to wait a bit before I plant those going in the beds.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2018, 10:10 »
Mine are still in their egg trays, as we were away last week... hope to get some in the ground this week though.

5 Swifts in the polytunnel are up though: extra protection from a large cloche too. Been in since the end of February, so hoping for an early meal or two
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

miggs

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2018, 11:18 »
Not a chance for me, ground is still very wet and cold. They are still chitting anyway, so be a couple of weeks yet.

Silva

« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2018, 14:53 »
I'm thinking of planting next weekend, depending on weather. Hopefully the cardboard will have warmed the soil a little. The advice I got at potato day was to plant earlies and mains all together but it seems other people plant earlies first- what opinions do people have on this?

xx
Why are maincrop potatoes planted later than first earlies?

Started by OakR on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 16, 2020, 12:38
by OakR
xx
first earlies, HELP?

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 20, 2007, 23:16
by frazzy
xx
After First and Second earlies

Started by Rocinante on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 02, 2019, 13:12
by sunshineband
xx
after First earlies

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 26, 2010, 13:53
by GreenOwl

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 51 queries.