« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 15:07 »
no ! and anyway you could sleep on the sofa :lol:

Selkie

Chicken Keeping Courses
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 15:47 »
Quote from: "Bodger !"
no ! and anyway you could sleep on the sofa :lol:

:D Is that an invitation? :wink:

Have you thought about doing evening classes or a weekend long course though? I still think it's alot to fit into one day (though I guess it depends on how many hours it would run for...)

Bodger

Chicken Keeping Courses
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 15:51 »
:shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

No  :oops:  :oops:  :oops: I think that a course on basic chicken keeping could easily be finished by early tea time :lol:

David.

Chicken Keeping Courses
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 17:12 »
My wife and daughter (then 9/10 ish) went on this course a few years ago: http://www.yarnertrust.co.uk/courses/courses08/14.html - £30 each - I went fishing!

As we had already been keeping hens for approx. 6 months, reading the books, and the internet fora, the verdict was they both didn't learn much they didn't know already from the course, but actually learnt more from informal discussions amongst amongst others on the course who had also just started keeping hens.

So basically, such courses  - if a whole day, can be a great opportunity to learn.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Chicken Keeping Courses
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 20:07 »
I was talking to my butcher today he said he wouldn't mind gutting one but he wouldn't want to kill one, so like you say bodger, you could have a step outside moment.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

chickychick

• Experienced Member
Chicken Keeping Courses
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 17:24 »
If I had been looking for a course as a begginer I would have liked:
choosing or making a coop
choosing the right kind of birds, eggs or meat, looks, egg colour, amount of eggs, suppliers, age to buy.
How many birds
what do they eat
list of good suppliers of conumables
hints and tips ie cider vinegar, diatom, dust baths,oestra, grits
wing clipping
recognising behaviour - pecking order/ feather pecking
what to have in your first aid box for chickens
when to call see a vet
illness and how to recognise a sick bird
how to recognise a broody bird
keeping a flock, eg... buying 4 one year then another couple two years later to ensure continuous supply of eggs.

hmmm
anyway that course would have been really handy for me,

I would have loved to go along and see some coops with hens in and then actually make my own along with other people with help if I got stuck that would have been really nice and social too.
ok so I know its a daft question but Im cute ......

EzLou

• Experienced Member
Chicken Keeping Courses
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 17:31 »
I used to work for a relatively well known person [in certain circles] who used to do these courses for around £150 each. They appealed to a certain upper middleclass market - usually ladies - that came ready made from the main business that he was well known for.

I think with all the awareness raised by HFW etc etc now's a good time to start this sort of thing - The key is lots of hand outs, visuals, demos, practical etc etc so the punters come away with lots of printed info to keep and haven't got bored.

chickychick

• Experienced Member
Chicken Keeping Courses
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 17:37 »
No better advert than walking around with a chicken underyour arm!

when I went to collect Blondie (she had escaped over the fence and was tootling around the edge of the neighbours swimming pool behind my fence)...I had to go ALLLL the way around to get her so on the way back I must have been stopped at least 6 times with people fascinated by her and wanting to know ALL about it and are they easy to keep and oo isnt she lovely shall we get some.....

of course she was working at it all interested and cuddly but Im sure you have a bird like that who would enjoy the fuss  :D

I think a course is a great idea, people enjoy doing something new at the weekend and if you throw in a glass of cheepy wine and some nibbles the middle class ladies who are out for some distraction will be very happy indeed..and for those of us who are just ordinary types who like the idea it would be great fun.

What do you have to lose??? go for it

EzLou

• Experienced Member
Chicken Keeping Courses
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 17:47 »
No better advert than walking around with a chicken under your arm!

Exactly right -  he used to take models with him from his hen house too! And his black lab too more often than not.

It has to be fun, varied and engaging - nothing worse than being droned at for hours with some bog standard powerpoint presentation slideshow thing.

Are you planning to travel to do it? You can source village halls for hire and do it on the cheap that way [some are just dirt cheap to hire] no doubt people on here would help with that. I know a little hall local to me that charges £7.50 an hour. Would probably fit 20-30 people very comfortably all seated with a desk - inc good area left for your set up.

Bear in mind there will be a finite audience available if you just do it in one location - unless its a big city.

Bodger

Chicken Keeping Courses
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 17:47 »
This time next year Rodney we could be millionaires :lol:  Seriously, we will be moving this year with the finding of a property suitable for doing something of this kind in mind. :D

EzLou

• Experienced Member
Chicken Keeping Courses
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2008, 17:53 »
Hahaha! Sorry - I was a pa for too long - it affects your mind!!

:oops:

xx
new to chicken keeping

Started by westie on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 15, 2007, 19:34
by agapanthus
xx
New to chicken keeping

Started by Evansent on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 18, 2008, 09:31
by ceri green
xx
HELP - new to chicken keeping!

Started by dazza666 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 19, 2010, 15:07
by dazza666
xx
New to Chicken-keeping

Started by Frothgar on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 12:15
by themagicaltoad1

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 39 queries.