New Plot - Looking for help and advice planning

• 1 Replies

steveashett

New Plot - Looking for help and advice planning
« on: January 29, 2015, 16:30 »
Hi everyone and thank you to anyone who responds here. I have my first allotment plot which has been left for some years to just run wild. I wanted to grow my own vegetables and move my chickens up from my home garden so they have a lot more space.

My plan so far was to clear out all of the weed's & rubbish to give me a clean slate to work with. I also had to repair the fence to help secure the plot. I'm in the process of this now, and already I'm thinking of what to do next. I'd like a shed (for potting), a green house to start the veg off in, a chicken house & pen, I need a water storage & irrigation system. I ideally want to build raised beds to grow the crops in. So as you can see my list is huge so far, the amount of work needed doesn't bother me though I want to get things right from the start so I don't have to do a job twice, this is where I'd like some info. If you can help or recommend any tips on doing any of the above please let me know.

Also is there any veg recommended for a first timer such as myself? I'm not expecting a lot in my first year but I'd love to be able to produce a bit in year 1. Also anything nice and easy for my son to have a go at would be great also (maybe an easy fruit?).
Kindest regards, Steve

snowdrops

Re: New Plot - Looking for help and advice planning
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 17:11 »
Could you utilise the wonderful clearing capabilities of your chickens to assist in the first instance, so I suppose a moveable pen would be best, but you will need to know they are secure cos I'm sure the fowls will find them tasty if not.
As for easy veg, potatoes are usually recommended as you dig deep to plant & harvest them. Depends on the types of weeds you have as to how you go about clearing them. If they have been there for a while they are more than likely perennial & a bit more work to clear.
Start on a small area & plant as you clear. For your son strawberrys might be ideal.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
PLANNING PERMISSION

Started by Freddie on Design and Construction

15 Replies
Last post August 20, 2007, 17:08
by welsh boyo
xx
Davids Polytunnel - Planning Stage

Started by MidlandBrewer on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post February 23, 2017, 18:10
by MidlandBrewer
xx
Advice please for starting up. Have land and need advice before we start.

Started by mairistephen on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2012, 23:20
by mairistephen
xx
advice

Started by nomic on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post April 20, 2011, 10:14
by nomic

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 35 queries.