Bread the stuff of life

• 527 Replies

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
    • Recipes
Re: Bread the stuff of life
« Reply #180 on: March 22, 2015, 23:39 »
Spelt flour is on offer at Waitrose at the moment.....they seem to be the cheapest of the Supermarkets at £1.99 per 1 kg anyway. Offer equals 3 for 2 so £1.33 per kg. Thought you'd like to know. Me and Cara have stocked up! All of their bread making flour is on the same offer but this was the one we went for.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 23:54 by Val H »
Val
Recipes Galore!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #181 on: March 23, 2015, 11:02 »
Thanks Val. Their spelt flour and wholemeal flour is good!

chrissie B

« Reply #182 on: March 23, 2015, 20:17 »
I just got a bag of allinsons £1 if any use at morrisons it was strong white .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

oldgrunge

« Reply #183 on: March 23, 2015, 20:46 »
I just got a bag of allinsons £1 if any use at morrisons it was strong white .
chrissie b
In our local Asda, Allinsons Strong has gone up recently from £1 per 1.5 kg. to £1.75 per kg.! The very strong is £1.25, and 3kg. of strong is £2!!!
Make sense of that!  ??? ??? ???
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

chrissie B

« Reply #184 on: March 23, 2015, 23:14 »
Well i normally pay 2 pound for the 3 kilo bag at asda and the smaller bag is usually  125 and over so 1 pound is a bargin for me as a dont get up to asda often .
chrissie b

hamstergbert

« Reply #185 on: March 23, 2015, 23:32 »
Morribogs has been doing Allinsons strong at £1.00, Hovis strong white bread flour also £1.00, Allinsons extra strong white £1.25, so been stocking up a bit.

However the pricing strategies of all sorts of things are really bizarre - currently 320gm Rowse squeezy Honey at £2.59, or 640gm same item for £2.50... twice as much for ninepence less!  Economics of the madhouse.

HGB baking bargain of the week from Morribogs though was a tray of four blocks of fresh yeast reduced to ninepence!  In the freezer so if and when I fall off the current obsessive sourdough wagon, should be well sorted.

Oh, and OldGrunge - really appreciate the oatmeal bread recipe.  Enjoyed it, many thanks indeed.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
    • Recipes
« Reply #186 on: March 23, 2015, 23:52 »
Lidl's very strong bread wholemeal and strong bread white flour at 1.5 kg for 75p each take some beating in my opinion. Both make exceptionally good loafs. Spelt they don't do!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 23:56 by Val H »

grendel

« Reply #187 on: March 24, 2015, 12:45 »
Morribogs has been doing Allinsons strong at £1.00, Hovis strong white bread flour also £1.00, Allinsons extra strong white £1.25, so been stocking up a bit.

However the pricing strategies of all sorts of things are really bizarre - currently 320gm Rowse squeezy Honey at £2.59, or 640gm same item for £2.50... twice as much for ninepence less!  Economics of the madhouse.

HGB baking bargain of the week from Morribogs though was a tray of four blocks of fresh yeast reduced to ninepence!  In the freezer so if and when I fall off the current obsessive sourdough wagon, should be well sorted.

Oh, and OldGrunge - really appreciate the oatmeal bread recipe.  Enjoyed it, many thanks indeed.
we spotted a deal like that, except there were about 10 packs of 4, they all went into the freezer, and over 6 months later are still producing a decent loaf, if used straight from the freezer I use warm water instead of cold and break a half block into 4 lumps for a loaf
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

chrissie B

« Reply #188 on: March 24, 2015, 21:45 »
Wish we had the space
chrissie b

chrissie B

« Reply #189 on: May 15, 2015, 09:00 »
Well the breads going great , i bought a book from the heart shop and its loads of recipes from all over each recipe has the measurements for all the types of yeast so i took myself up to asda and asked the bakery if they sold freash yeast and she gave me some lumps which i think willdo about 6, 7,loafs  the book uses the sponge method by putting the creamed yeast in a well of flour mixing a small amount in and letting it stand 20 mins then mixing all together and ive had some lovley results, getting the yeast could be difficult who sells it with bread and baking becoming more popular every day you would think it would be ready available , so i will have to do the rounds or the big shops and ask
chrissie b

snowdrops

« Reply #190 on: May 15, 2015, 09:05 »
I sponge my sourdough over night,no yeast  :). Lovely results,even granary types. I hardly make any others now. I'm wanting to make a sourdough crumpet recipe I've seen but not had the time to watch over it to cook at the right stage
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

chrissie B

« Reply #191 on: May 15, 2015, 16:52 »
Now that sounds interesting .
inthought it was difficult but it even daves messing up an extra bowl .
i went to sainsburys and got some freash yeast ive got morrisons to try when i use up what i gave now , also i was just shaping my bread , in the book for a bloomer they roll it out with a pin then roll it up and it seems to keep a better shape ,happy days .
chrissie b

snowdrops

« Reply #192 on: May 15, 2015, 17:51 »
You know you can freeze fresh yeast?  :nowink:

chrissie B

« Reply #193 on: May 15, 2015, 18:21 »
How longs it going to last in the fridge.
chrissie b

snowdrops

« Reply #194 on: May 15, 2015, 18:49 »
Im not exactly sure but I'd have thought 2/3 weeks. You can grow it but I don't know how

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 50 queries.