URGENT HELP - Somethings killing my chickens

• 4 Replies

SJC

URGENT HELP - Somethings killing my chickens
« on: July 18, 2013, 20:00 »
Please could you helpful people give me a clue as to what is killing & taking my girls.

I have now lost 3 of my girls in 3 seperate kilings,  all have happen in roughly the same place, with 6 days between each loss, and all I have left is a few piles of feathers all in the roughly the same place.  They have all going missing between 4pm & 8pm. 

The latest one has happened tonight between 6 - 7pm, but this time we have found her remains in a dense wide hedge bordering our field.  She has been half eaten but her intestines have been carefully removed and were about 6" away from her and intacked.  Sorry to be so graphic.

Please any advise

Springlands

Re: URGENT HELP - Somethings killing my chickens
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 20:08 »
Sorry to hear about your hens SJC but it sounds like a fox attack. Once a fox knows that there are hens that are vulnerable to attack it will return again and again. You will have to make sure that your hen run is as secure as possible.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 20:10 by Springlands »

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 22:55 »
I agree. Sounds just like a fox attack. And it will certainly keep returning while there is a ready source of food available. You really need to look to see what you can do to make them more secure, hard as that can be.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

BobE

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 22:58 »
My only weak contribution is to lock them into a run for a few days, until he gives up.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 23:05 »
You may need to invest in an electric fence kit if you can not make a secure run large enough for them.  It is a big outlay but cheaper than having to replace your birds all the time and suffer the heartbreak. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
What is killing these chickens?

Started by animartco on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 14:38
by woodburner
xx
Killing Chickens

Started by bertie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 13:33
by bertie
xx
neighbours dog killing chickens

Started by dalesman on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 24, 2009, 20:16
by cathangirl
xx
Dog killing chickens? (not mine thankfully!)

Started by lina on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post June 18, 2009, 18:03
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 35 queries.