red ants

• 3 Replies

cas1954

red ants
« on: April 25, 2009, 21:55 »
Hi please can anybody help we are being plagued by red ants and they are driving us potty, I am not sure what to use as we have a puppy that is with us all the time and it keeps getting bite

help please 

cas1954 :(

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: red ants
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 22:08 »
I just read the back of my Nippon ant killer and it says "children and pets need not be excluded from the area treated".  So have a look at buying this, you can get it in most places.
Cheese makes everything better.

sallym

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 11:45 »
Hi, I have just read the posts on ants because we are being plagued with them this year. I don't know if they are a new 'super ant' but they are DEFFINITELY eating my green veg! I have actually watched them doing it. They chew around the base of the stalk until it looks white and rough and hard. The plant succumbs and falls over. The mystery is where the plant goes after that. It is a fenced in (rabbit proof) garden with a bird proof roof, and yet after a day or so there is not a trace of the plant left. So far they have had a dozen early cauliflowers ( they were about 10 inches tall when they started on them) and are now tackling the calabrese.

The only blessing is they don't like cabbages but then I am not that keen on them either!
I am off to see if the boiling water works! Has anyone else had this problem? Sally.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 21:15 »
Sally are you absolutely sure these are ants? And if they are, that they are actually consuming your cabbages?

The reason I ask is that ants normally feed on sweet stuff like honeydew from aphids etc rather than greenstuff like plant stems of any kind  :unsure: :unsure: It seems quite unlikely they would  do away with whole plants  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: and I am intrigued now  :wacko: :wacko:

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Red ants

Started by Nessie_dog on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 17:23
by Truffle
xx
Ants

Started by BazTheGardener on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 15, 2009, 13:31
by Ropster
xx
Ants, ants and more ants

Started by holder100 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 07, 2008, 01:00
by Trillium
xx
Ants, how to get rid?

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 05, 2012, 19:15
by kegs

Page created in 0.402 seconds with 28 queries.