New Chicken Keeper.......I Need a bit of Advice please....on broken eggs!!

• 8 Replies

RICH_Chicken

I recently got some chickens, ive had them around two days, and they are laying ive had 8 eggs, however i keep finding one or two broke in the nest box? i think they might just be getting stood on, but people have told me that the chickens might be pecking the eggs? is this true? if so what can i do to solve this? people have said put mustard in and egg or chilli?  :unsure:

Any advice will be welcome thanks guys??

Rich_Chicken
Rich_Chicken :)

Tony H

• Experienced Member
I found the only way to stop my one chicken was to check the nests a few times a day  :D also you could try and increase the amount of oister shell you mix in there food  :)
Chicken crazy

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
how many chickens do you have and how many nest boxes? How often are you collecting the eggs? Do any of your birds sleep in the nest boxes?
It isn't unknown for birds to peck at eggs but some people have found that by filling with mustard or chilli their birds quite like the taste so that doesn't always work.
Besides collecting the eggs regularly you could try roll away nest boxes so that when they lay an egg it rolls out of the birds way  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

RICH_Chicken

Thanks for this....

I have 6 chickens, with one large nest box, without any dividers in @ present, and collect the eggs roughly two to three times a day i go up to check on them, as i am new to this and have built the house/run etc, i could always build a 'roll away' nest box?

Rich_Chicken

joyfull

here are some instructions for a simple rollaway nest box which you might like to copy:-

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=16490.0

Also as has been pointed out make sure you give your birds access all day to a pot of crushed oyster shells and also don't feed too many treats but get your birds eating their layers pellets  :)

RICH_Chicken

What is oyster shell used for? sorry for daft question but i am complete novice?

joyfull

it helps keep their calcium levels up as they use a lot for the shells of their eggs, they get a certain amount from their feed but do tend to need more  :)

RICH_Chicken

Thank You....

Any other advice as they are ex-battery hens around 9 months, i had since saturday, they love worms already, and have started having some pellets aswell as the crum i got from the farm? also i put some grit mixed in with there food!

Rich_Chicken

Tony H

• Experienced Member
Ahh if they are ex battery hens they wont know what nest boxes are as they are used to standing most of the time and not having any nest boxes in some cases some chucks may never have seen eggs as they roll away  :( but they will soon forget about the sad life they had,  if you have plenty of food spred on the floor for them to scratch around keeps them ocupied they should soon stop pecking at the eggs  :D

xx
New Chicken keeper - advice please

Started by Jamrock on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 23, 2013, 09:29
by ANHBUC
xx
first time chicken keeper, needs some advice

Started by silverteen on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post November 08, 2011, 17:55
by ANHBUC
exclamation
Advice needed for candling chicken eggs

Started by Pretty Chick on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 15:39
by Pretty Chick
xx
Broken Eggs!

Started by Nickchick on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 17:08
by joyfull

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 40 queries.