Moulting

• 4 Replies

debih

• Experienced Member
Moulting
« on: November 21, 2011, 07:48 »
I think one of my chickens is moulting.   We have had them since about April time but none of them have moulted yet.  I have started to notice lots of small white feathers in the house and in the run but can't see that any of the chickens look like they are losing their feathers.

Is it normal for them to moult at the onset of winter?  Won't they get cold?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but this is my first winter with them so am already panicking about keeping them warm and what to do with them if we get four feet of snow again.
I always find that work gets in the way of life.

Sassy

Re: Moulting
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 08:25 »
They probably are moulting and if this is their first winter it is unlikely they will moult a lot. They do generally seem to pick this time of the year to moult and it is quite mormal. Even if they end up bare, which can happen, they cope very well. If they seem a little down you could give them a little extra protein in the form of fishy cat food or tuna in water, but this is by no means essential. :)

There are NO stupid questions on this site!  :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

bubbles108

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 13:42 »
Hi

I was just about to ask the same question.  We had a really bad attack of red mite about 3 months ago and at 1st I thought that had returned.  I've seen no sign of them and have constantly been treating the coop so think it more than likely the moult.
How long before she gets her now set of feathers and does it mean she will stop laying?

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 08:28 »
All chooks are individuals and it also depends on the extent of her moult but they will come back best with correct feeding so make sure you use a quality hen feed. She will more than likely stop laying it is just too difficult to replace feathers and lay eggs. :)

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 08:43 »
Most pullets in their first season won't have a full moult.  They tend to look a bit raggy around the edges and a bit moth eaten, but you don't often see bare patches.

Hens in their second season will often moult much heavier, sometimes to the point of nakedness!

Most hens tens to cope quite well with the cold.  If you pick a hen up who has been standing in snow you will notice how warm the feet feel!  you do have to be careful of the feather footed breeds though, as they can get snow and mud attached to ther foot feathers which can be uncomfortable.

question
moulting

Started by peter o on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 22:04
by Foxy
xx
Moulting

Started by outercircle on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 04, 2013, 08:16
by Sassy
xx
moulting

Started by fourmoon on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 20:36
by daisy1990
xx
moulting

Started by Jo-n-Neil on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 12, 2008, 17:46
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 29 queries.