Deformed/over grown Beak

• 1 Replies

The Goods

Deformed/over grown Beak
« on: September 29, 2011, 12:06 »
Can anyone please advise on two of my girls beaks?  To of my ex bat girls seem to have much longer lower beaks than the top.  It looks like their top beaks have been cut prior to us getting them.

Although they seem to eat ok, I watch them eat and their lower part seems to be a problem.  One girl in particular, when pecking up feed she cant quite grasp it as due to the lower part sticking out about 5mm more than the top one.

I researched vets in this area, Sidcup, to try to find a poultry vet, finally found one, so made an appointment and took two of my girls.

OMG it was awful.  The vet attempted to cut the lower beak of Doris, even though I asked, "what about the blood line".  My poor girl screamed out with blood dripping onto the floor.  She tried to stop the blood with a cotton bud which did nothing. 

I took her home, not knowing what to do, my OH is away so could not ask him for help.  Eventually it did stop bleeding, but the vet only nipped the end off.

Did i do the right thing in taking her to the vet in the first place?  Is this what they usually do?  It seemed barbaric.

Is there nothing else that can be done for over grown beaks, other that clipping them?  I wont be going back to that vet again.

Casey76

Re: Deformed/over grown Beak
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 12:38 »
Your hen doesn't have an overgrown beak.  The battery hens have their top beak cauterised at a day old so it doesn't grow as far as the lower beak.  So in actual fact it is the top beak which is "deformed"

The majority of battery hens are like this, because the cautery causes a permanent injury to the "quick" of the beak.

It is also another reason why battery hens are fed mash rather than pellets, because they find mash easier to eat.

If your hens only have a 5mm difference then they are quite lucky, as I have actually seen far worse :(

You shouldn't touch the lower beak any more, as this is the "natural" length of the beak.  if she starts to get ridges along the edges of the beak, these can be filed away with an emery board.

xx
HEN WITH DEFORMED BEAK

Started by compostqueen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 03, 2011, 15:23
by compostqueen
xx
Deformed Beak

Started by Caralou on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 21, 2009, 22:29
by Caralou
xx
Deformed Spurs

Started by Thingy on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 12:58
by joyfull
xx
deformed feet

Started by Jo57 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 05, 2014, 10:56
by Jo57

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 40 queries.