ill chicken

• 3 Replies

gem

ill chicken
« on: March 27, 2011, 09:13 »
Hello,

One of my 3 chickens is under the weather, when i went to let them out yesterday (they normally forcing thier way out as i open the door) two came out and the third was just sitting in the house.  she was very docile but left her for a bit to wake up.  I went back later still docile and slow but out walking about a little.  Didnt move much when i went in the run and let me pick her up no probs (which is not like her!!)

I did notice she had been drinking but dont think she is eating much, had a quick feel about but as i dont really know what they should feel like couldnt tell much, no heat or smell that i noticed.

Again this morning she came out last and went straight to the water drank lots but not putting her head back much and so was dribbling a little.  Have put poultry tonic in the water.  any suggestions on food i can try her on that may help, will take her to the vets tomorrow if she dosent pick up.

Any suggestions on what it may be, i think she may have laid an egg yesterday also but couldnt be to sure she went in house after i took eggs yesterday and there was one there this morning so may have been her??

bantam novice

Re: ill chicken
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 14:38 »
Hello Gem, and sorry to hear about your hen  :(
It may be worth checking what I call the "usual suspects"

Any little visitors?  Have you wormed her recently or could she be reacting to lice or redmite?

Temperature?  You can test this by feeling under the wing of one of your other girls and then under her wing to see if she feels any hotter.

Crop -  does this feel hard or soft and squidgy?

Poo?  is she pooing normally?

Does she have a runny nose or eyes or is she sneezing?

How is her breathing?

It may certainly be a good idea to take her to a vet.  Not all vets are chicken-friendly and some refuse to treat chickens at all.

In the meantime good luck and keep us posted.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

gem

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 16:01 »
Hi Thanks,

Her temperature isnt to hot the OH says he thinks she feels the same as the others.  Dont think her breathing any different

Might try the worming it could be that, no lice or red mite that i can see plus i would think the others would be suffering from that too.

Poo is a little watery but she is drinking a lot so it may be that.  Crop im not sure about have tried to feel but not sure im doing it right can feel her breast bones?? (i think thats what they are)

She has been out today but very slow moving and sleeping standing  up not doing much.

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 20:01 »
Hello Gem,

I think a visit to the vet is called for.  I hope your vet is chicken friendly.  It is always a good idea to try the worming if you haven't done it recently. 

Most people on this site seem to recommend Flubenvet for worming and if you  type that into the search box in the top right hand corner you will find loads of info.

Chickens do have a way of hiding when they are feeling unwell until they are very unwell and can't hide it any longer.

Good luck!

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
how much does a chicken eat?

Started by cejx on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 11:21
by evie2
xx
chicken run

Started by pelirocco on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 25, 2010, 09:54
by joyfull
xx
gay chicken

Started by taximan on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 30, 2010, 18:19
by joyfull

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 38 queries.