Think one of my girls is ill :-(

• 9 Replies

Lmo25

Think one of my girls is ill :-(
« on: March 04, 2012, 19:02 »
Hi everyone, got 2 chickens a week ago. Bit worried about 1 of my chooks as well as she has started sneezing and the feathers on her chest look all dishevelled. I hadn't wormed them because I was told they weren't due till next month but have ordered Flubivet for then. I picked her up tonight as well and she feel quite skinny plus her neck seems swollen. I have let them out to free range for the past 3 days but their feeder has almost been emptied and they have been eating treats we have given them. She was also lying down earlier when I went out. Quite worried.  Should I call the vet? Any advice welcomed gladly. Thanks

Neil Doncaster

• Experienced Member
Re: Think one of my girls is ill :-(
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 19:20 »
yes, don't hesitate call the vet even if it is just for advice you don't want the poor girl suffering

Lmo25

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 19:42 »
Ok will give them a phone in the morning. Spoke to them before I got them and they seem quite helpful. Just hope she is ok my son would be heartbroken!  :(

PaulineM

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 19:44 »
I don't want to sound patronising but are you sure she is ill?  :unsure:
What breed is she as most hens that are bred for egg laying are very skinny, also her neck being swollen could just be her crop being full, which it should be come evening time. Was she sun bathing or dust bathing when you seen her lying down?  
Of course there are lots of illnesses that have these symptoms too.
Good luck  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

Lmo25

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 20:05 »
Will check her in the morning then and see if it is the same. You don't sound patronising at all :) could do with all advice out there. Just been worried about her. They are Wyadotte's.  There was a mole hill next to her so thought she may have been having a play in that plus her beak was all muddy. What about the sneezing though? Also her feathers at on her chest? I know I might be slightly paranoid but just worried that I do something wrong  :wacko:.

Thanks

PaulineM

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 20:58 »
I remember the first time I seen one of mine sunbathing, she just fell on her side and put her wing in the air I thought she was having a fit or dying  ::)

Hope she is fine tho just keep a close eye on her

viettaclark

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 00:05 »
Usually, if a chicken is eating well, there's not a lot wrong with it..... ::) :nowink:

Lmo25

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 09:18 »
Thanks will an eye on her. I have been a bit stressed out about something going wrong! Driving OH mad  :wacko:.
Thanks for the advice and any other advice more than welcome.  :D
Thanks again

helens-hens

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 10:39 »
Its better to be concerned and keeping an eye on them, thats how we all learn, i.e. you get to know what is normal and what isn't.

I remember when I first got my hens, about 2 years ago, one of my first thoughts is what I have done, this is a big mistake as I was worrying over every single thing. However this will pass and you will start to enjoy them, particularly with spring and the summer coming along.  :)
Helen

Lmo25

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 11:36 »
It's like you read my mind :D. Said that to OH yesterday "wish i had never done this!) Just going to keep an eye on her if anything changes I will give the vet a phone I think.

Thank you all for your help and advice.  ::)

xx
New Girls - Help!

Started by ycholmes on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 31, 2010, 12:52
by tesni
xx
New Girls

Started by Madrat on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 30, 2011, 20:03
by Madrat
xx
Got my new girls!!!!

Started by Anndee on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post August 30, 2011, 21:31
by Lindeggs
xx
how many girls in a run

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 12, 2009, 22:55
by meterman

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 38 queries.