Aunt Sally

• 9 Replies

Yolky

Aunt Sally
« on: July 28, 2008, 22:22 »
I have been looking at the fabulous pictures of your run and how you have it under the sloping roof to keep it under cover. After tonights awful down pour we have realised we need something more substantial to keep our run dry and have looked to your set up as inspiration. I was wondering if you have any advice or hints for making it please.

My husband did promise me a walk in run but since we were passed on the converter and extention he says it can wait a little while as the girls do have enough room now and free range quite a bit. So this will be very helpful to us, especially with winter in the not too distant future....
Thank you.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Aunt Sally
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 22:24 »
This is how my eglu run looks for those who've not seen the picture before:

The run is filled with a good quality chipped pine bark which we have laid on a woven weed membrane (makes cleaning easy).  

The cover is made from small profile corolux which is fixed on to a 2x1 inch tantalised framing.  The frame is fixed to a wall plate on our garden shed with some hefty hinges so that it can be raised and held up out of the way on some chains at each end.

When lowered over the run it rests on a rail and posts (looks like a horse hitching rail) which is slotted in to 2 inch metaposts in the ground.  

Their sun shade just goes through a wooden loop on the roof and down into a metal tube in the ground.

When we need to clean the run (thoroughly) we raise the roof, remove the posts and lift the eglu and run away completely.  
This keeps the run completely dry all year round.  No smells, no build up of infections, easy and quick to clean.

We do use tent pegs to secure the run skirt just to make sure it's safe from predators 8)

Yolky

Aunt Sally
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 22:37 »
Thank you  :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Aunt Sally
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 22:41 »
Done it for you yolky  :D

Yolky

Aunt Sally
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 22:44 »
That is fabulous, thank you so much. Very helpful indeed :D

Yolky

Aunt Sally
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 22:46 »
Ohh one question I thought of. How do you stop water running down your shed and getting the run wet that way?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Aunt Sally
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 22:50 »
The gap by the hinges is absolutely minimal and almost nothing gets in that way. You could put a length of guttering under the wall plate that the hinges are on if it was a problem, but we've not found it to be. !

Yolky

Aunt Sally
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 08:48 »
Thank you so much. I have just been up at the crack of dawn because the rain had actually held off for a bit and cleared all the wet stuff round the edges of the run then covered again with the many shower curtains that I use. I cannot keep this up for a long time. I have my fingers crossed that he will do this either on the weekend he has off in 2 weeks or on the bank hol weekend at the end of august.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Aunt Sally
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 11:36 »
By the way, we have no rain run off on the front of the shed as it is a pent roof sloping to the back.  

If rain runs off the roof on your chicken run side then a guttering on the roof and a water butt would be good  :D

Yolky

Aunt Sally
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 12:06 »
What a great idea. Ours will be off our fencing using our fence posts and I think we may have to add a post on each of the back corners too as the fence wouldn't be as strong as your shed.

It will be so good to be able to have the run with no covers on so we can still see the chooks too, at the moment they are under lots of clear shower curtains but as I have had to use lots because of the size it isn't so clear and so I cannot really see them properly and watching them is most of them fun of having chickens :D

xx
So sorry Aunt Sally ......

Started by dawninspain on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 13:06
by Viv
xx
Question for aunt sally

Started by chelle on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 27, 2007, 08:19
by Bagpuss
xx
Aunt Sally's poo pictures

Started by janeheritage on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 14, 2009, 23:13
by wildwitchy
xx
aunt sally's mash

Started by Selkie on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post November 04, 2007, 19:29
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 36 queries.