Kick Type Sod Removal Tool

• 11 Replies

Durgan

« on: September 27, 2007, 00:00 »

Anybody who has removed sod with a shovel over a reasonably large area will know what backbreaking work it entails.

I have almost half an acre of hard packed grass, and if I want to enlarge a growing area a challenge is presented.

At first I rented a tool at 40 a clip or more and finally broke down and bought a sod removing tool off the internet. It was one of my finest investments in equipment.

If the ground is wet the effort is minimal. The device is kicked forward and proceeds about a foot with each thrust. The sod is a perfect depth and is almost effortless compared to hands and knees with a shovel. When dry, the kick will not go a foot depending upon the effort, but it is still relatively easy.

My dog Neena always helps me. She is saying, "Good job Durgan.'

I have rented a similiar type several times. This one is perfect. It is strongly made and most durable. I paid a lot for shipping, since I couldn't find it in Canada. I think I paid around $179.00 US, but I wanted it and I am totally happy. I have only had it about three months, and have removed a fair amount of sod. It is as good as the type that  I rented.

I have seen others with a wooden handle, and higher price,for what reason, I can't imagine. Planting a tree is simple, because the sod can be removed in a few minutes as opposed to knee shovelling. Want a new bed, producing it is simple. I used to shutter everytime I had to remove sod.

The news of this tool should be spread far and wide. It is absolutely perfect for the use intended, and the price is more than reasonable.

I am in no way an agent for any company selling this product. I am simply a happy end user.

jack russell

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 00:26 »
That does look like a good little tool to have,  if you have the right sized garden with the need for it. yours obviously is :wink:

cheers

jr
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 05:49 »
Yes, interesting tool Durgan. But the price is a bit staggering, at least for me. I bought the Lee Valley sod shovel for $40 (show discount, no taxes, free delivery, at Canada Blooms). It's not for the weak, but not difficult to use after some rain. I used mine to clear pathways for gravel.

jack russell

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 06:42 »
maybee he can loan it to you trillium as you are practically neighbours :wink:

cheers

jr

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 15:44 »
:lol:  He tells me about it now, after I've already lifted all the sod I needed.  :lol:

jack russell

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 20:45 »
always the way i guess :roll:

cheers

jr

shaun

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 21:40 »
if you want to remove turf ,the easy way is one of these,shop around and you will hire one much cheaper
turf cutter
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 05:47 »
How I wish our rental shops carried these! But they don't. Seems our area is quite stoney for the most part and the few machines that were brought in immediately hit stones which broke the pricey blades. After a few weeks of constant blade replacement, the hire shops got rid of the turf cutters. Just my luck  :cry:

gobs

Re: Kick Type Sod Removal Tool
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 08:44 »
Quote from: "Durgan"

I thought this was a joke...Would it be a lot of use for Aunty's shed? :roll:  :roll:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Annie

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2007, 09:16 »
:lol:  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Kick Type Sod Removal Tool
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2007, 12:39 »
Quote from: "gobs"
Quote from: "Durgan"

I thought this was a joke...Would it be a lot of use for Aunty's shed? :roll:  :roll:

Just don't get any dirt on the curtains gobs  :wink:

gobs

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2007, 20:17 »
I wouldn't dare Aunty! Anyway, I'm not that sort of a girl, I washed and starched and ironed me lace curtains for the shed window and even cleaned the notice board as much as could do with that tool, really :D  :D  :D

xx
fly wheel removal

Started by willie2006 on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post April 12, 2007, 20:17
by willie2006
xx
Rust removal

Started by noshed on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2018, 17:15
by rowlandwells
xx
Help spark plug removal on RLT30CESA

Started by trunk monkey on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post October 20, 2017, 15:24
by Lardman
xx
MONROTILLER Circa; 1957 Flywheel removal

Started by DECAL MAN on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post November 25, 2008, 17:13
by landie57

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 40 queries.