Chicken advice needed

• 2 Replies

dianamack

Chicken advice needed
« on: July 03, 2013, 04:51 »
My hen, Mildred, was roughed up by our dog two days ago. She physically seems okay except for missing feathers. However, she won't come out of the coop. I'm sure she's scared but it's 100 degrees during the day. I put a fan in the chicken house but she's panting.  I've tried tempting her with worms but she won't budge off the roost. The other chickens are roaming in their run and they check on her periodically. Should I force her to come out? Please help...I don't want to lose her.

Thank you,
Diana

ehs284

Re: Chicken advice needed
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 08:14 »
No don't force her out. Pop in and talk to her when you can - but don't go in smelling of dog. Make sure she's plenty of water. Have you tried a syringe with water to her beak? Add a little sugar and ibuprofen (not asprin in case she's bleeding internally.Shock will kill birds, although if she's managed two days then there's a good chance she'll pick up. What you can't tell is whether there are any internal injuries and, if there are, there is not a lot you can do. If she's in pain be merciful otherwise watch. If you have a hose you could spray the coop to cool it a bit. Best of luck.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Chicken advice needed
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 11:12 »
If the dog has broken her skin she could have an infection which would need to be treated by a vet.  It is difficult as moving her will obviously stress her.  Some vets will do home visits.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Injured chicken - advice needed

Started by Chicken chum on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 19, 2014, 17:06
by joyfull
xx
Advice Needed on Chicken Health (HELP)

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 29, 2011, 16:00
by compostqueen
xx
advice on chicken run floor needed!

Started by Angelina on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 10, 2009, 12:12
by blossom1044
xx
Chicken with cut foot...advice needed

Started by Lmo25 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 07, 2012, 10:06
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 38 queries.