Fruit tree grafting / cuttings

• 20 Replies

Lardman

Fruit tree grafting / cuttings
« on: October 12, 2015, 12:47 »
I'd like to 'play' with some fruit tree grafting.  :nowink: I have at the top of the garden some self set damson and yellow plum trees, they're too big to move, give poor yield and are on the fence line or I've smacked them with strimmer and made a mess of the trunk -  I'd like to use them as a scion source.

I can find oodles of information about how to graft, I've located some root stocks but I can't find any info about how, when and what to cut as the scion.  Pointers ?

simonwatson

Re: Fruit tree grafting / cuttings
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 13:04 »
A Google search for Stephen Hayes with any kind of fruit tree topic will yield some really good videos on all things apple. He's got videos for bud and cleft grafting which look really good.

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 13:12 »
I watched most of his stuff last night, as you say it's really good and very easy to follow - all aimed at apples. I assume the grafting techniques are the same but is scion collection from stoned fruit?

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 13:18 »
I was under the belief that you are better to bud graft stone fruit and now is a bit late for that  :( However if it is only a play and you will not be disheartened if it doesn't work out then give it a go. The other down side is cutting/ pruning stone fruit trees going into winter opens them up to a higher risk of disease and possible death.

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 15:10 »
More gurgling then Norfolkgrey, I don't mind the loss of the source plants but I'd hate to waste a couple of years to find out Id made a mess of it.

Eblana

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 15:44 »
For the scion you should use strong one year old stems i.e this years growth.  They should be approx 20 cams long.  They should be cut above a bud.  Grafting should be done in late winter or early spring while still in bud.  Take your cuttings just before you do the grafting and put them in a plastic bag.  Make sure the knife you use is super sharp.  Oh and mind your fingers!!

dmg

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 23:26 »
Hi Lardman,
I've dabbled with grafting several times now with some success. I would second Simon's suggestion of following Stephen hayes blog - he offers scions in January/ February time for a donation to a charity he follows if you want to try different varieties.
The points I would offer would be
- Cut pencil thick stems from this years growth anytime in winter, my lengths varied but have at least 3 buds on them - wrap in damp newspaper and put in a poly bag and leave in your fridge until grafting time
 - if your concerned about disease seal the cut branches on the tree with melted wax
- Be careful of when you plan to graft I have previously grafted in late feb and failed due to them drying out so I graft when I see the buds starting to burst on other trees - this has been the most successful method for me
- If you are planning to graft several trees do it over a couple of weeks to see what time is best for your area
- make sure the scion and rootstocks are roughly the same size I use this tool which allows for the perfect cut
 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garden-Fruit-Tree-Pruner-Shear-Grafting-Cutting-Tools-W-2-Extra-Blades-Tape-UK-/181898501329?hash=item2a59fedcd1
- make sure your union is weather proof

So far I've been successful doing apples, pears did graft but the bad weather killed them.
I will be grafting apple, pear, plum and cherry next season. I also aim to do some bud grafting with the cherries later in the year as well.

Hope that helps
Dmg

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 10:58 »
Im still working down his Youtube stuff ..  :nowink:

Ooohhh a new tool to play with  :) Does that one do bud grafting to or just V, Omega and U ?

Did you graft 1 to 1 root stock to scion or create family trees - I really like the idea of espaliered family apple trees  :nowink: little point if it's just with the Aldi standard varieties, keeping my eyes open for interesting trees. 

From what I can gather the damson is a "Shropshire Prune" and the yellow plum a "Warwickshire Dropper" plenty of source material if anyone else wants a go.  ;)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 12:59 »
From what I can gather the damson is a "Shropshire Prune" plenty of source material if anyone else wants a go.  ;)

yes please! Will have a look at my C h ristmas Pippin apple and see if I can get anything off it worth swapping too. If it would be of interest that is.  :)

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 15:05 »
From what I can gather the damson is a "Shropshire Prune" and the yellow plum a "Warwickshire Dropper" plenty of source material if anyone else wants a go.  ;)

Must resist, must resist, must resist  :nowink:

dmg

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 00:53 »
Hi Lardman
My attempts with apples created family trees my 1st attempt was an unknown green cooker and I grafted red discovery onto it which fruited this year. I've also put king of the pippins and james grieve onto a braeburn base, and also a winter king and james grieve onto another braeburn no fruit as yet. I did my neighbours tree - discovery with a winter king graft also
My pear grafts went directly onto the rootstock - conference onto a quince a rootstock. I did these on the 10th April

Dmg

Lardman

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 11:36 »
You lot are such a bad influence on me  :nowink:

I was ordering some st Julian A stock at a very reasonable £1.80 and 3 more trees fell into the shopping basket  :ohmy: Winter King, Kidds Orange and Gladstone. Oh dear trees are a far more expensive habit than seeds   ... and I still need to buy some MM106 or MM111's :wub:

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 13:32 »
Ah, but in future years you can grow your own rootstock. Then you can graft to your hearts content, then panic with 'what you are going to do with all those trees'. z :ohmy: :D

Hayleynotts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2015, 13:55 »
I have a few fruit trees I could possibly offer material from when it's time. Bramley, James grieve and discovery apples, Stella and morello cherry, an unknown plum possibly Victoria and a conference and Willian's pear.

Would really fancy a go at a russet Apple graft.

Lardman

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2015, 15:34 »
Would really fancy a go at a russet Apple graft.

Im sure when it's around the right time there will be a scion thread over in the swap shop  ;)

.. then panic with 'what you are going to do with all those trees'. z :ohmy: :D

The rate I kill stuff I really can't see that being an issue  :lol:

xx
Fruit tree grafting.

Started by Bodger on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 03, 2008, 19:15
by SalJ1980
xx
Grafting on a plum tree

Started by Bm1 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 12, 2023, 21:01
by Bm1
xx
Grafting an apple tree

Started by timdunn on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 01:16
by timdunn
xx
grafting fruit trees? possible to do it now?

Started by adri on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 12, 2009, 17:56
by adri

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 35 queries.