apple / pear tree cuttings

• 2 Replies

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
apple / pear tree cuttings
« on: August 26, 2014, 19:38 »
I'm considering some guerilla gardening - I've got a few apple and pear trees and am training them laterally on the plot (well, kind of)... anyhow has anyone had success with simply taking cuttngs, dipping them in hormone (maybe) and then growing them on?
Layering seems to be more successful according to wikipedia - but I'm looking for simple/free/lots so cuttings if at all viable would be the best way for me (if that technique has any success). I'm not concerned about rootstock because this would be on a hedge that once had large trees that provided wind protection...
I suspect I'll have to faff about with layering but maybe some have had success with simple cuttings...

Cheers,
Balders

solway cropper

Re: apple / pear tree cuttings
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 22:37 »
apples can be grown from the cuttings but it's a bit more complicated than simply dipping in rooting hormone and sticking in the soil. They need a controlled environment and regular misting and even then it can be hit and miss.

I'm pretty sure it would be as widely used as grafting if it were as successful but if you have plenty of cuttings to work with it's worth a go.

I have read that you can actually get them to root on the tree by cutting part way through the shoot and then wrapping in sterile compost inside a plastic bag and sealing to keep out air. They form roots into the compost and can then be removed for potting on. Sounds a bit complicated so try googling it.

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
Re: apple / pear tree cuttings
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 11:15 »
May the fork be with you

xx
apple and pear tree from aldi

Started by mike0001 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 12, 2013, 10:49
by moose
xx
What Apple & Pear Tree For An Allotment

Started by smudger28 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 12, 2008, 11:40
by Johndeb
xx
Help problems with apple and pear tree

Started by aubergine on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 09:43
by aubergine
xx
Apple and Pear tree planting advice

Started by Sheena on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 12, 2007, 21:18
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 39 queries.