Cape Gooseberries

• 6 Replies

gardener247

• Experienced Member
Cape Gooseberries
« on: May 15, 2010, 22:29 »
i bought a packet of them on t and m but it says its too late to sow them. if i sow them now will i get at least 1 fruit, i just want to taste them to see how much i'll grow next year

Babstreefern

Re: Cape Gooseberries
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 22:33 »
I planted some a couple of months ago, they are in my greenhouse, I've potted them on into large pots and they are still only about 5" tall - somehow, I don't think I'll get any fruit this year.  My next door neighbour has one in half a barrel outside, its a largish bush.  So its got a long way to go I reckon :ohmy:
Babs

gardener247

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 22:37 »
have you tried them before? are they nice?

Babstreefern

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 22:41 »
My pal gave me some of hers off her bush, and they are heavenly - I first tried them when they were in the supermarket, and because they are so nice, I wanted to grow them, hence, I'm having a go and see what happens - watch this space at the end of the growing season :)

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 22:44 »
I planted April last year and had the plant on a south facing sheltered patio. I didn't get any fruit.

I did manage to overwinter it though and having hacked it down a few times during the winter months its now going great guns in the greenhouse. So even if you don't get anything this year you should next.

sclarke624

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 22:48 »
You do know if you want to taste one that they are the same ones Tesco sell in an expensive little packet called Physalis.  Usually by the fruit and nuts on the green grocers bennches.

I'm not sure they will ripen in time now, you have to start them early, I have found.  One year, as I had heard the plants will keep to next year, I overwintered some that had fruited.  It did work and they ripened in plenty of time.  But all depends on the weather an early sunny spring helps.

I don't like them much but I am in minority, I gave bowlfuls away to OH, to take into work, and they were jumped on and more asked.  The small bush Little lanterns  taste slightly different from the bigger bush.  OH said the smaller ones were sweeter.  I only used a 10" pot.

Anyway I would try growing some, what have you to loose, two or three seeds.  Maybe if there is not enough time to ripen you have a head start for next year if you overwinter, so seeds wouldn't be wasted.

Lardman beat me to it.  Thinking about it the ones from a previous year overwinteredwere the best produce. I have just realised the one I'm growing will useless this year so will keep that for next, I forgot until writing this LOL.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 22:51 by sclarke624 »
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 00:35 »
They don't seem to ripen if you pick and leave on the window sill like toms but if you stick the plants in the greenhouse or bring them in they will. I grew them in about 8" pots and got a small crop after sowing them late last year.

xx
Cape gooseberries

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 17, 2008, 18:53
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Cape gooseberries- new to me.

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 04, 2015, 20:59
by vet
xx
Cape Gooseberries

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 07, 2007, 19:56
by sclarke624
xx
Cape gooseberries! Another...

Started by grenhouse on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 22:25
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 28 queries.