Blueberries again

• 3 Replies

Grubbypaws

Blueberries again
« on: August 07, 2019, 14:48 »
One of my trusty original blueberry bushes has hardly produced any fruit this year. Usually it is my best producer. The plant looks very happy with lots of new growth but very little fruit. It hasnt been treated any differently than usual.

I did cut out some old unproductive growth last winter so I wonder if it is sulking. Hopefully it is not just old age  :(

I have been trying to recall the variety and I think it is Brigatta. 

Any one any ideas?

oldgrunge

Re: Blueberries again
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 20:04 »
Mine are the same this year. I have four plants in large pots. Only one produced any fruit this year, and that was only a handful.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 12:04 »
My two blueberry bushes are at least 10 years old (different varieties, planted in the soil) and one was always more productive (although smaller) than the other.
However, a couple of years ago it bore very few fruit, the other being much more productive.

Thinking it might be on its last legs, I bought a 3rd plant in case I had to get rid of the ailing one, but in fact last year it had a great crop, with the other old plant apparently having a rest year (yeah, go figure  ::))
This year all 3 have done pretty well.

It's possible you may have overdone the pruning, because the flower buds are produced on the previous year's growth - if you've been neglecting the pH and feeding it might be worth paying some attention to those, although I wouldn't do too much feeding at this time of year.
Pot grown plants might benefit from a partial (ericaceous) compost refresh, although you need to be careful as they are quite shallow rooted.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 12:33 »
Interesting post, Grubbypaws.

I moved ours from big pots into the garden at home, and they're under a cage now. I seriously fed them with ericaceous feed, and we've had about 1.5lbs from three plants, but one other little chap has done nothing!

As I'm in the middle of redesigning the fruit cage ( it doesn't have a door, so it's all-fours at the moment, which is interesting), I'm going to get them look like an espalier next year. They just flop everywhere, and are real mongrels to look at, but the crop has been pretty good for the first year.

Perhaps we should reconvene in twelve months, and ask ourselves, well, what happened this year..;0)

xx
blueberries

Started by Charl89 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 19, 2013, 22:29
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Blueberries?

Started by jonewer on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 09, 2010, 18:52
by sunshineband
xx
Blueberries

Started by rcf100 on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post June 09, 2012, 22:58
by rcf100
xx
Blueberries

Started by septiclecky on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 04, 2015, 20:03
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 39 queries.