how high can they fly

• 11 Replies

mumof4

how high can they fly
« on: June 17, 2008, 09:40 »
We are having the new girls wings clipped by the breeder when we collect them but does this really work. Our garden fences and shrubs are approx. 5ft high.

The birds are bovans nera, amber star and goldline

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
    • www.funkychickengifts.com
how high can they fly
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 09:46 »
Our fence is 5-6 foot and was also worried, we had their wings clipped just incase but have to say I've never seen them fly, infact all they seem to use their wings for is to propell them along the ground at top speed, oh and they can also get a bit of air if they run and jump off a 2foot garden wall which is quite funny but I d on't think you have anything to worry about (fingers crossed) :lol:
Katt

mumof4

how high can they fly
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 10:08 »
Maybe i won't worry then.

compostqueen

how high can they fly
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 10:47 »
Er, I would  :D   I clipped my birds wings but they just laughed at me and flew out the run  :roll:  They are young and light oh and adventurous so don't underestimate them

They don't go far though but keep the gates shut  :D

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
how high can they fly
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 11:08 »
If they are new to you then I would keep a very close eye on them.  I have a polish and I thought she wouldn't fly far if she took off at all with that mop  :lol: but we had only had her a week and I noticed she kept looking at the sky.  Never thought much of it when she took off flew over our 8 foot privet hedge upwards to my neighbours roof.  Fortunately for us as her vision is limited she didn't quite estimate it right and hit the side of the house near the apex and fell like a stone to the ground.  I ran round terrified she would be dead but no she was fine.  I have had her nearly three years now and she hasn't bothered flying again but I do keep a very good eye on them all when they are out in the garden.  So be warned.
40 hens, 8 cockerels, 3 dogs, 2 rabbits, 8 chinchillas, 2 teenage daughters and O/H

mumof4

how high can they fly
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 12:08 »
My run is covered so i guess i better keep them in that for a while.

I've been waiting for an amber star and we are collecting the new hens this weekend but i must admit I'm worried she might be too flighty but i've had my heart set onhaving  one for so long.

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
how high can they fly
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 12:50 »
Don't want to worry you but I would leave them in the covered run until they are quite tame with you.  Mine are kept in a covered run and the Polish only did the escape routine on one of her first visits into the garden.  I guess she just thought freedom lets fly, oh another thought the day she escaped was also windy not sure it makes much difference but I have noticed they tend to be easily disturbed when its windy.  

I have a white leghorn which is said to be flighty which I keep up the allotment in a covered run too.  Only had them a short time and the other day I went into the run and she was the first one to come hop onto my knee and made no attempt to fly off.  So just because a breed is said to be flighty doen't always ring true.  

Getting chickens is one of the best things I have done, enjoy them and try not to worry too much, I am sure everything will be ok.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
how high can they fly
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 13:23 »
With a cliped with a 5ft fence should keep them from flying away, and as they get older they will give up bothering to try.

Porffor

how high can they fly
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 15:55 »
Mine fly.. kind of assisted jumping really, they get up onto anything they can sit on! :lol: left their hutch door open the other day and one of them was doing a funny 'walk' along the top of it - kind of losing balance then regaining it as she went! lol

I visited a friend this weekend with chickens, and was surprised hers don't sit on the roof of her henhouse, as mine would.. and do! :lol:

peggyprice

how high can they fly
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 19:20 »
My Amber - with wings clipped - flew from the top of the run about 8' across the garden yesterday.  Fortunately in a straight line and straight towards me - she was in a hurry to see if I was bringing treats  :lol: She and the other young 'un are definitely the ones most interested in going up rather than staying down ...
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

Bigbadfrankie

how high can they fly
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 19:50 »
how high can you kick em
always have a target
and an objective.

Porffor

how high can they fly
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 20:50 »
Quote from: "Bigbadfrankie"
how high can you kick em

not as high as i could kick someone that raised a foot at any of my animals! :lol:

xx
how high

Started by gailtearle on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 29, 2012, 17:33
by grinling
xx
How high should a run be?

Started by Henlady on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post January 28, 2010, 20:19
by Carl_shave
xx
How High??

Started by Pep on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 11, 2008, 16:12
by poultrygeist
xx
how high

Started by bailey on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 05, 2010, 11:52
by Chablis Dog

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 39 queries.