How High??

• 6 Replies

Pep

• Experienced Member
How High??
« on: May 10, 2008, 16:26 »
Hi everyone,

We are in the process of building a permanent coop for our three chickens.  We've opted for 2 feet by 4 feet with one nesting box 1 foot square.  A run will be attached, this being 4 feet wide by 12 feet long although, whilst we're at home, they will have the run of a much larger, fenced off area of the garden.  Fencing is necessary because they've taken to following me around all the time and I'm afraid of treading on them.

I've picked up lots of useful ideas from the forum but can't seem to see anything about how high the coops and runs need to be.  I'd also like to know how high the roost should be and how much head height they need. Will someone advise please?  I don't know what breed they are so I'm going on the assumption they are medium to large.  Thanks in advance, I'd appreciate any advice.

Pauline

poultrygeist

How High??
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 17:00 »
Hi pauline.

If you can manage a walk-in shed, you'll find it much easier for cleaning and handling the birds. I built a box on legs about 2 feet off the ground with the apex of teh roof about 5'6" high. This gives them plenty of headroom inside while sat on the perches, which are about a foot off the floor. In this heat the air can circulate a bit with some large holes near the top to ventilate.

Our run is about 5' high with netting over the top and their wings aren't clipped. They could probably just clear it if they were determined and of course there's a few logs and things to jump on. If you clip their wings they probably won't go much above 3 or 4'. Depends on their size and what's coming up behind them !!  :)

Rob

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
How High??
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 18:18 »
Hi Pauline
I have had my hens for 6 months and decided to build a hen coop 2'x4' just like you. I made it with a sloping roof 2'6" at the back and 3' at the front. I put a perch about 18" from the floor, but the hens (2 ex bats) have not used it. I made a ladder, but I think it slopes a bit too much, or it may be that there is not enough head room.
The coop resembles a kitchen cupboard with as I said a sloping roof, so it is easy to get in to clean through the two doors. The nest box is on one end and is 1ft square like yours. The pop hole is the opposite end.
I lined the floor with polythene.
If I were doing it again and had  more room I would make it 3'x4' and perhaps a little higher, but it would weigh too much to move about. I had to move mine using steel tubes as rollers, rather like how the Egyptians moved the stones to build the pyramids!

Pep

• Experienced Member
How High??
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 13:29 »
Hello Rob & Azubah,

Thank you very much for your advice.  I definitely need to build it a few more inches higher than I thought!!

I am building it off the ground, a couple of inches higher than the wheel barrow and with grab handles at hip height (don't believe in uneccessary hardwork  :lol: ).  For ventilation, I thought about using fly-screen material which is quite strong and easily available out here.  As regards access to the coop for cleaning etc., we thought that a fully opening back would work well.  The nest box on the side will have its own lift up lid.  Sound ok so far?

What size does the pop hole need to be?  Sorry, I forgot to ask last posting.  I thought about 8" wide and about 10" high would be sufficient.  Please correct me if not.

Thanks again, Pauline

poultrygeist

How High??
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 14:57 »
Depends what size chooks again but would have thought 10" w x 12" h would be better if they might be bigguns.

As regards the flyscreen, if you back it with wire weldmesh so any foxes, rats, etc can't nibble through it.
Sounds fine otherwise. As long as you can reach to the far corners without being a contortionist and bear in mind you may have to do it in the rain and wind.  :?

Good luck and feel free to keep asking.  :)

Rob

Pep

• Experienced Member
How High??
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 16:08 »
Once again, thanks Rob.

I don't think we have foxes out here but we did see a weasel/pole cat walking across the roof of an outbuilding a few weeks ago so re-inforcing is a definite must.

Something that does amaze me is that the locals just let their hens, turkeys, geese etc. roam around the village and the street dogs don't bother them.  We also have common buzzards which were a concern when the chicks were smaller - I'm not sure what size prey they take.

The chicks, though, are growing at a great rate of knots and have started developing their wattles.  At first, I thought they'd been pecking each other which just goes to show how new I am to this hobby!!

Anyway, back to making a new pop hole.

Thanks again and, no doubt, I'll be posting again with all sorts of questions.

Pauline.

poultrygeist

How High??
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 16:12 »
Don't take what I say as gospel by any means !!  :shock:

Merely opinions based a whole 4 months of poultry keeping and pinching other people's ideas  :)

I'm amazed you don't have foxes there, but I suppose the bears, wolves and sabre toothed tigers keep them away !  :wink:

It's surprising how quickly they grow when you're busy for a while. Nothign happens and the next thing they're laying eggs. Good luck with it all. I think you're brave just making a go of it there.

Rob

xx
how high

Started by bailey on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 05, 2010, 11:52
by Chablis Dog
xx
How High is too High?

Started by psychobabble on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 07, 2011, 12:09
by Dominic
xx
HOW HIGH

Started by happyclucker on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 26, 2009, 13:55
by happyclucker
xx
How high

Started by MKD on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 30, 2016, 19:51
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 32 queries.